Looking at one of these monitors

Katarn

I'm looking at some new monitor options. I'm not looking for an expensive monitor, just a replacement over a failing device for one of my rigs.
The monitors I'm interested in are as follows:

Acer 21,5" LED 223HQL , 16:9, DVI, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $110

Acer 21,5" LED 226HQL , 16:9, DVI, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $118

LG 21,5" LED 22EN33S-B , 16:9, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $121

LG 21,5" LED 22M35A-B , 16:9, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, black $122

These intrigue me as they are brand name, come with a native full HD resolution, 22inch, and a fairly low price.
Now specs aren't always accurate for deciding which monitor is the best in terms of quality and performance. None of these have online user reviews (none that I found), so I thought I'd turn to a place where experienced users could help me make the right choice.

The monitor is needed for 3D work - modelling, texturing, lighting and occasional animations; gaming; reading (e-books, e-comics) and web-surfing. So yes, accuracy, crisp images and smooth motion handling is needed.
Quality is also essential, as I don't want to end up with a rapidly degrading device.

As a benchmark, I'm using the best-performing monitor I've had until now, which is a BENQ E2200HD D-SUB. It is six-seven years old, but I've never had any trouble with it. No malfunctions, no dead pixels, no under-performance. It was about $210 when new and in some specs beats the monitors above.

Would you say the monitors I'm interested in are any good for what I'm looking for? And can any of them outperform the BENQ? I will update the list if I find other suitable options.

And another thing. Can someone explain the difference in performance between DVI and HDMI over VGA?
All the monitors I've had only have a VGA port and was wondering what advantage (if any, other than supported resolutions) have the DVI and HDMI ports over VGA.

Thanks,

Katarn

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
As a rule I stay away from recommending monitors, I don't have an eye for them and if someone else does then I'm liable to be completely wrong on any advice I give.

What I do know about though is VGA HDMI and DVI.

VGA is an analogue signal which can result in a poorer quality picture.
DVI is a digital (image only) signal that should provide better image quality
HDMI is the same signal as DVI but also has the capability to carry a sound signal.