Looking at Upgrade Options

Aza

Rising Star
Hi All,

I bought my system just over a year and a half ago and although i'm not upgrading right now, I am looking at options for the next 6 to 12 months.
When I got my system, it was right before the release of the 3000 Series Geforce RTX release, and then AMD's 5000 Series CPU's (should of held on, but wasnt in the position to).

My current specs are:
Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT Eight Core CPU (4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
Additional Storage
2 x 500GB SSD drives, one used for cloud storage/sync and the other is a scratch drive for Adobe stuff like photoshop, premiere pro etc
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED (Im on Win 10 Pro)
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

Now, normally I wouldnt even think about updating the CPU just yet, but I am looking at the 5800X and 5800X3D AMD chips just because it would be a massive boost, and I missed out on the release due to having to replace an old system in a hurry.

Im also thinking of holding out on the GPU until the 4000 Series RTX are released, which I dont think is going to be that far off into the future.

I know there are big changes in RAM coming up, but it would basically mean rebuilding my entire system, what I am considering is adding another 16Gb of the same RAM I already have, especially if the price drops when DDR5 is more mainstream.

With all that in mind, and thinking of future upgrades to GPU etc, i'm wondering if its worth going for a PSU upgrade to a 850w RMx and how easy that may be to install, would I be correct in thinking I could just unplug everything direct from the PSU itself and put the new one in where its fully modular? Also, can anyone tell me a bit more about the power feed to the GPU? I know there was an increase in pin numbers between the 2000 Series and the 3000, im kinda wondering if the predicted 4000 Series might also have a change in connectors for power supply too..

Wondered what peoples thoughts were and any advice they may be able to give.

So in brief;
Upgrading CPU, possibly in about 6 months time once the prices on the new 5800X3D settle in a little
Add more RAM so 32Gb rather than the 16Gb in about 6 months time ( I do play with video and photo editting so there is benefit, not just a vanity project)
Upgrading GPU after the initial release of the expected 4000 Series Geforce RTX (so probably in about 12 months)
Upgrading PSU to a 850W RMx (would it even be worth going higher? also wouild need to think of the space it sits in within the case but I couldnt look at that on the configurator as it doesnt have my case on the site atm)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Sorry to bump.... was hoping for some feedback :)
Be patient, young Jedi. It’s a Saturday on a bank holiday weekend so some of our regulars are probably gallivanting about, drinking too much Tizer, knocking on people’s doors and running away. Someone will hop on and assist soon enough.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd take the PSU to the 1000W RMx, and yeah if you dabble with video editing then good call on adding a couple more sticks of RAM< I'm running a 2070 super myself, and like you I'm happy to wait till the 4000 series come out & look at picking up a pre used 3070 Ti;)

Aza

Rising Star
Is the 1000W the same size as the 750w? Or if its fits in the Corsair 500D SE?
I expected it to be a larger unit and there is still space there... but i dont know the size of the 1000W RMx

MrWilson

Godlike
Sorry to bump.... was hoping for some feedback :)
knocking on people’s doors and running away.
Just got back from terrorising the neighbours 😂

So suggestions above are very sensible. Another 2 sticks of RAM would be helpful for any editing you want to do.

For your CPU/GPU, it depends on what’s holding you back at the moment. For a primarily gaming based system this is almost certainly the GPU. The 2070 Super is still a solid card, what monitor are you pairing this with?

Waiting for the next gen GPUs to launch and then grabbing either a reduced price 3000 card or new 4000 card seems like the plan here, and a monitor upgrade at the same time might be on the cards.

You have the motherboard and cooler to support a 5000 series CPU, which can also be considered at the time you upgrade, although for your primary focus of gaming this is unlikely to give you a substantial performance boost.

Aza

Rising Star
I've got a 1440p 144Hz monitor with a 165Hz boost feature (agon something or other) GSync IPS and keen to stick with it.... 27 or 28 inch screen... GPU upgrade would be more to deal with actual games and maintain highest settings so would stick to either a 3070Ti (or super if they make it?) most likely or depending on money etc, one of the new series if/when released.... I know im not going to benefit looking at a 80 or 90 it'd just be burning cash (arguably the 3060Ti would be a suitable pairing but I want the extra ompf a 70 gives and its not going to break the bank for me)

From what i've read today, i'm not going to be able to upgrade to a 7000 Series CPU when AMD release, but i'm going to wait until they do and try to bag myself a high spec 5000 series... the motherboard should have no issues with a 5900X for example but i'll see what on the market around autumn/winter... looks like the 5800X3D would be a mis-step for me.
a 5950X would probably mean a cooler upgrade, which for my corsair case would then mean front mounting it and moving all the fans around, the H115i Elite Cap has no issues at all atm so Id rather avoid looking at replacing it unless doing a full rebuild.

The DDR5 release has kinda upended the idea of getting a decade without significant changes such as motherboard etc... but thats a conversation for a good few years down the line yet.

So, if i'm reading everyone right...
RAM can happily go in anytime I like (and its only about £60 atm to buy two more 8Gb sticks).
Sit around until the next series GPU come out and have a look at prices then.
When the 7000 series CPU's come, have a look at prices for the 5000 series (5800X, 5900X being likely targets), but this is more a luxury upgrade rather than a genuine boost to performance foir gaming.... although I do feel a 5000 series is a good leap forward compared to the 3000 series for things like video editing too... so it owuldnt be the worst idea I've had.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The DDR5 release has kinda upended the idea of getting a decade without significant changes such as motherboard etc... but thats a conversation for a good few years down the line yet.
The idea is you build the platform right at the outset and it lasts the entire life of the build, you should never need a CPU upgrade during the life of a build, it's not going to make any impact to gaming performance other than in competitive scenarios at low res and graphics settings.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The 3800XT is no slouch at all. At 1440p you're not going to see any significant benefit by switching out the CPU to the likes of the 5800X/3D. Similar with the GPU, the 2070 Super has a nice performance for 1440p.

I would hold off on the PSU as the 750w will likely cover a 4060/Ti level (expected 1440p+). If it doesn't, the 1000w RMx will be a good upgrade in hand with the GPU.

RAM is a fair shout, especially as the prices are now coming down. I don't know if you'll get a performance increase that's noticeable, bit it would be a nice to have for me given the pricing.

Aza

Rising Star
The idea is you build the platform right at the outset and it lasts the entire life of the build, you should never need a CPU upgrade during the life of a build, it's not going to make any impact to gaming performance other than in competitive scenarios at low res and graphics settings.
Not even in terms of video editing? I thought the 5000 series were a big leap forward compared to the 3000 series?
I get that it would be a luxury/unnecessary purchase though and isnt going to revolutionise everything for me.

The main aim of upgrading was/is going to be the GPU though, RAM boost is a added boost for video editing (which is more hobby)
CPU is last on the list of what I might tweek, and really would depnd on there being some attractively cheap ones to upgrade with in a years time rather than a deliberate aim (plus I would feel better having only just missed out on them by a couple of months when i put the machine together lol)

Aza

Rising Star
Ok. All good stuff to know and should stop me from just throwing cash at stuff without any real objective.

So my main consideration, nearer xmas/new year, should be looking at a GPU upgrade and (perhaps) the PSU

Green light on the RAM upgrade any time I like

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you want to upgrade for content creation then I would opt for the 5900X. That's a true upgrade.
Yeah this is my line of thinking, if you really wanted to upgrade with content creation in mind then the 5900X is the move that makes the most sense

2070 Super is still a very good GPU, I would wait until at least the 4000 series but it might even see you through that era too

Extra RAM would also be useful, most the main creation apps can make good use of an extra 16GB of RAM, personally I think the PSU is just fine for now. I would wait until you know which GPU you actually want to change too then that will tell you if you need to upgrade the PSU or not