Looking for a 27inch monitor (non gaming style. i.e no flashing red bits ;-) )

BT81

Enthusiast
Hi

Looking to upgrade my 1080p 144hz screen to a 1440p 27inch.

I don't have a need for 144hz gaming. If I get a screen with a 60hz refresh rate, can that create a problem with screen tearing / dropped frame rates.
Currently any time I try and lock a game to 60fps, it drops frames. The only sweetstop I've found is to run half v snyc and often get a very stable 72fps.

Ideally I'd like a monitor to look a little more, dare I say it. Boring / Professional.

Something like this?

AOC Q27T1 - 27 Inch QHD Monitor, Porsche Design, 75Hz, 5ms, IPS, AMD FreeSync, Flicker Free, Zero Edge Design (2560x1440 @75Hz, 350 cd/m², HDMI 1.4 x 2, DisplayPort 1.2 x 1)​

Lenovo Q27q-10 27 Inch QHD Monitor (IPS Panel, 75 Hz, 4 ms, HMDI, DP) Tilt Screen, Black​

LG Electronics UHD 27UL850 27 Inch Monitor 4K Vesa DisplayHDR 400 IPS (3840 x 2160) - 2x HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-C, 350 cd/m2, 5ms, AMD Radeon Freesync, Height Adjustable, White​

I have my PCS build. 3600x CPU and 3070 GPU

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If I get a screen with a 60hz refresh rate, can that create a problem with screen tearing / dropped frame rates.
Of course. Hz = FPS. If you have a 60hz screen the max FPS you can achieve is 60, so you’ll drop any extra frames. 60hz is not gaming these days.

What GPU are you pairing it with?

None of those monitors are going to be very good.

BT81

Enthusiast
Of course. Hz = FPS. If you have a 60hz screen the max FPS you can achieve is 60, so you’ll drop any extra frames. 60hz is not gaming these days.

What GPU are you pairing it with?

None of those monitors are going to be very good.
Fair does. Any recommendations
On something that is 1440p / 4K - that has a more - ‘less gaming appearance

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair does. Any recommendations
On something that is 1440p / 4K - that has a more - ‘less gaming appearance
A 3070 would pair well with a 1440p 144Hz or Ultrawide, it's not well suited for 1080p at all.

What's your budget for the screen?

BT81

Enthusiast
Be a 3070 GPU
- and the monitor is used for the old ‘working from home’ read countless pages of reports 😭

BT81

Enthusiast
Probably no more than £300
I bought a ASUS 1080p 144hz last year for ‘working from home - before I bought my awesome PCS PC :)
And it’s a bit blurry for reading

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Probably no more than £300
I bought a ASUS 1080p 144hz last year for ‘working from home - before I bought my awesome PCS PC :)
And it’s a bit blurry for reading
Yeah, 1080p sucks generally, it's 20 years old, and not really supported with a modern system. It's incredibly poor by todays standards, even for work.

£300 will just about get you a very basic monitor, it's literally entry level budget, do you have any more available?

BT81

Enthusiast
Even for. 27inch 1440p monitor - everything is expensive :-(
Yeah, I’ll have to stick to a £300 ish limit

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even for. 27inch 1440p monitor - everything is expensive :-(
Yeah, I’ll have to stick to a £300 ish limit
The LG is a full IPS panel so is streets ahead of the other 2 VA panels

BT81

Enthusiast
Winner! I’ll take a look - anything must be better to read word documents than my current monitor!
shame it’s black and red haha - but they seem to tick the boxes of gaming and working / studying (unfortunately I spend more timer doing the latter at the moment :-( )
Thanks again!

BT81

Enthusiast
The LG is a full IPS panel so is streets ahead of the other 2 VA panels

So just had a quick look.
LG doesn't have a height stand
And the AOC is out of stock - does the fact it's a VA rather an a IPS make difference in the scheme of things (i.e working first, gaming second)

Looks like I'll up my budget a bit :-(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is probably top top end!
I've got the first version of that monitor and it's superb.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So just had a quick look.
LG doesn't have a height stand
And the AOC is out of stock - does the fact it's a VA rather an a IPS make difference in the scheme of things (i.e working first, gaming second)

Looks like I'll up my budget a bit :-(
You’ll want the 27GN850-B if you want height-adjustable, but may by hard to come by at sub £300 price point.

I’ve got the older 27GL850-B model and have no complaints, and I believe it’s slightly brighter than the newer model, but loses out slightly on gamut. However, in both instances the variations are minor.

Last edited:

BT81

Enthusiast
So - Update.
I bought...

Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD (2560x1440) - £299​

I have my 3600x CPU/3070 GPU

Everything, not sure why - But everything runs better than it did on the 1080p monitor I was using.

Metro Ex - I could never get a stable frame rate - It would run really fast, but then drop frames. Capping it to a frame rate made no difference either.
And it's the same story for everything. Getting a near locked 60fps was strangely impossible at 1080p, however at 1440p. Everything is better.

Now I have a 1080p 144hx monitor to sell!