Looking for a monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam12

Hi, I'm currently looking for a new 1440p 60hz monitor to go with my gtx 1070 build, budget around £250-£300.
Any recommendations are much appreciated thanks!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The AOC Q2577PWQ is worth a look if you fancy an IPS panel.

Is this a build you've already got or that you're ordering off PC?

Sam12

I've ordered the build already from PCS just wondering about what monitor to pair it with, I'd seen online that the 1070 can be wasted on 1080p and should be looking at 1440p instead,

This is the build I have ordered if it helps at all:

GAME MAX FALCON BLACK GAMING CASE (RGB LED)
Change to: InWIN 303 MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Change to: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Hard Disk 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
Change to: 2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
M.2 SSD Drive 128GB M.2 2280, SATA 6Gb/s (560MB/R, 467MB/W)
Change to: 256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 100 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Change to: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting NONE
Change to: 50cm Green LED Strip
Extra Case Fans NONE
Change to: 1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
Operating System Language United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus BullGuard™ Internet Security 2017 - 3 User, 1 Year
Browser Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Keyboard & Mouse CoolerMaster MasterKeys Lite L Combo Keyboard and Mouse
Headsets ASUS ROG ORION Gaming Headset
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Change to: 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

Sam12

Yes already ordered the build from PCS, was just looking for a monitor to pair it with.

I got the i7 7700 cpu
16b corsair vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
And - gtx 1070

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If it's still an option you might consider the i7 7700k CPU, as it's a fair bit faster out of the box, as well as also having an unlocked multiplier.

That should do well at 1440p, though you'll need to manage the games' settings a bit rather than push them to full ultra in every case :)

Sam12

It is still being built but I have changed it a couple times already, I would be using it mainly for gaming so would the k make an improvement for me here and would it allow me to 1440p 144hz monitor is it that purely down to GPU choice?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That will be more down to GPU choice - for 1440p 144hz you'd be looking at a 1080, or a 1080 ti.

However some games will benefit a decent bit from the faster CPU, and it may help avoid your CPU bottlenecking your future GPUs (since I'm sure you'll upgrade the GPU at least once in the next 5 years) for that bit longer into the future. The cost is fairly modest and you'll likely be keeping your CPU for the lifespan of your PC, so I'd say it's worth it.

Sam12

Alright I'll upgrade it to the k now, thanks for your help and advice and for the monitor suggestion as well!:)

If you want to know which Monitor is the best for gaming here you get the guidance about best 1440p gaming monitors. If you have only 250euro to 300euro then the best monitor in your range its BenQ GW2765HT Monitor. Hope you like this monitor.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Along these lines, a perfect gaming PC is the one with ground-breaking equipment which can yield execution proportionate to the gaming work area, and give portability simultaneously

IMO (and I know I've said this before) the two parts of this sentence (either side of the comma) are mutually exclusive. A portable PC (ie. a laptop) is always going to be a compromise, not just on screen size (though that's a pretty big compromise right there) but also on the inevitable performance/cooling problem. High performance components that are worked hard produce more heat, and although I have no figures to hand I'd bet that the increase in heat output does not have a linear relationship with increased performance, it's likely to be exponential. Because of their fundamental requirement to be not too bulky and not too heavy, all laptops have a cooling problem. There just isn't enough volume inside to air cool them properly, copper heat pipes help of course but you still need decent sized fans to remove that heat - and their physical size is limited by the not bulky or not heavy requirement.

If portability is of prime importance to you then you really have to accept that your not going to be using 'ground-breaking equipment which can yield execution proportionate to the gaming work' to its fullest potential, simply because you can't cool it properly.

BTW I removed the link because none of the laptops in that list were from PCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.