Looking for a new motherboard

Connorhj

Hi all, I'm looking for a new motherboard in the budget range of £100 - £150. Preferably one designed for gaming.

Here are my pc specs:

Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4570 (3.2GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z87-K: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, XFIRE
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Power Supply CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans 1 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

A few days ago I had a message about a usb short circuiting and then the morning after I turned the computer on and theres no display, no starting beep and the computer would turn itself off after 4 minutes. After taking it to a repair shop it turns out the whole mother board has been fried and all the other components are ok.

The computer itself is only 16 months old, so its a bit of a bummer. Now i'm looking for a replacement board thats a bit more reliable.

Any help is greatly appreciated :).

steaky360

Asus motherboards are not inherently unreliable from my experience. So to be honest, I'd probably recommend getting the same board again :)

But I'd be sure to check (if you can) for certain that all the other components are fine. If something fried your motherboard, it could have fried something else too.

EDIT: Asus offer a 3 year warranty with the motherboard too - so I'd also recommend giving PCS a call first to see if you can just get in touch with ASUS - I'm assuming your PCS warranty has expired (Standard/Silver).

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z87K/HelpDesk_Warranty/

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi all, I'm looking for a new motherboard in the budget range of £100 - £150. Preferably one designed for gaming.
Most morherboard will offer similar performance for gaming, I don't think there is need to get sometbing expensive. I would also suggest contacting PCS to see if they can help you requesting a new motherboard. If you are going to replace the mothetboard I would suggest replacing the case to improve cooling since the coolermaster 311 is not really a gaming case. It will allow you further uogrades in the future and better airflow

Connorhj

That's great news! I wasn't aware of the three year warranty for the motherboard. I'm sending it off to get a replacement right away. Thank you guys for all your help.