Looking for an ideal desktop, need some advice >.<

Waazzzuup

Hi there,
This is my first time building a computer, I'm 15, and I'm not much of a tech expert either so I apologise for any mistakes or misunderstandings. xD
I'm looking to buy a computer mostly for gaming, but also for good quality video calls and just generally browsing the internet. As for the games, I'm not completely sure on what I'll be playing, but it's most likely to be stuff like Beyond Good and Evil, Dead Rising 2, Sims 3, Osu and also possibly Skyrim, Eden Eternal, HoMM VI and Assassin's Creed.
I'd like the computer to run at a pretty good speed, and for the game quality to be pretty good too. I don't need any Microsoft Office software or anything. I don't really have a budget to be honest, but I'm not too bothered about the price of it, as long as it would be a good investment.

I'm not completely sure on what I've chosen, so I wanted to post to see if anyone could help me out a little and give me some advice.
However, what I had chosen was...

Processor (CPU)
Intel Core i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, NVIDIA SLI, ATI CrossfireX

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB kit)

Graphics Card
3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 580 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk (I wasn't sure whether I needed to add another hard disk, but I did so anyways, just incase!:))
500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5002AALX,SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200rpm)

RAID
NONE

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 51 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W PRO SERIES HX750-80 PLUS SILVER MODULAR

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO II C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)

Sound Card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Series

Network Facilities

USB Options
4 PORT USB 2.0 INTERNAL PCI CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS

Modem

Floppy Disk Drive
NONE

Firewire & Video Editing
NONE

TV Card
NONE

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

Office Software
NONE

Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL (I plan to install the free AVG when I get the computer anyways)

Monitor
IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920X1080

DVI-D HDMI Monitor Cables

Keyboard
LOGITECH G110 GAMING KEYBOARD WITH BACKLIGHTING

Mouse
LOGITECH G500 LASER GAMING MOUSE

Speakers

Webcam
Logitech HD Webcam C910 - 1080p HD Video & 10 Megapixel Photos

Headsets - Surge Protection - Printer - External Hard Drive
ALL NONE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect &amp; Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Home Installation
Technician Assisted Installation Set-Up

Data Recovery
NONE

Delivery
PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, either PRE-NOON or PRE-10AM. Not sure on that yet.

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days

As for the case, I don't mind which one. I don't know which would be most suitable.
The ones with the "............." under them, I'm not sure on yet..
Any advice really would be appreciated, and I apologise again as I don't really know too much about computers!
I'm not sure what to get for the Modem and Network Facilites..
The main internet broadband modem is in the lounge and connected to my wireless router and the computer in the lounge, but I want to set this computer up in my bedroom. On my laptop I just connect via my wireless router which is a Safecom wireless router, I'm sure.
Anyways, like I said, any help/advice would be very appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Processor (CPU)
Intel Core i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Are you planning on overclocking at all, if not you can easily drop to the i7-2600 CPU, since the k variants are primarily meant for overclockers.

2nd Hard Disk (I wasn't sure whether I needed to add another hard disk, but I did so anyways, just incase!:))
This depends entirely on how much space you'll need, and everyone is different :)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
4x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ROM
This won't write DVD's or Blu-Rays, do you only want a reader?
If you want a writer, then you'll need one of the other options, theBlu-Ray reader and DVD Reader/writer is only £7quid more

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO II C240 A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER)
Probably a bit overkill unless you're planning on overclocking

Network Facilities
If you want to use wireless then you'll need to pick a wireless network card here :)

Modem
Unless you're still using dial-up, which you're not by the sounds of things, you can ignore this :)

Monitor
IIYAMA E2273HDS 22" WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D HD 1920X1080
DVI-D HDMI Monitor Cables
The Iiyama monitors come with a DVI cable so you can ignore the cables bit

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect &amp; Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Go for the silver warranty, it's only a fiver and extends the collect and return to a year

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd drop the sound card. Use the money to get a 1050w corsair psu, so you can sli that 580 in a year or so.

If you dont want a big psu, i'd still drop the sound card to a cheaper model such as the x-fi titanium.

Also i'd drop the extra usb ports, the motherboard has about 6 i think, plus two usb 3.0 (plus usb 2.0 ones on the case)