Looking for suggestion for hardware cleaning stuff

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
Hi guys, its that time where i had my laptop for almost a year so its time to clean up and replace the thermal paste, however, i need suggestions for reagent or some sort of cleaning thing for laptop hardware. I have been told that pressures air is best option however i have no idea what to go for / whats the best choice. i heard some issues with buying pressured air cans having liquid in them so i am tad bit worried i buy something trash and my laptop kicks the bucket.

any suggestions as to what i should get?

Aza

Rising Star

I have this. I'm sure ive seen a "Mark II" version which has some control over the power of air put out...
The only negative I have about the compu cleaner is it is -very- strong. I've always been hesitant to use it to dust down the motherboard just in case it damaged a small component, I tend to hold it at a distance .
The newer model gives you a couple of power settings I think?

It has also been said (several) timed before that I worry to much.... but anyway.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have this. I'm sure ive seen a "Mark II" version which has some control over the power of air put out...
The only negative I have about the compu cleaner is it is -very- strong. I've always been hesitant to use it to dust down teh motherboard just in case it damaged a small component, I tend to hold it at a distance.
The newer model gives you a couple of power settings I think?

It has also been said (several) timed before that I worry to much.... but anyway.
Yeah I just hold it further away when I'm getting into more sensitive areas

Aza

Rising Star
Yeah I just hold it further away when I'm getting into more sensitive areas
I do the same, motherboard and GPU fans i'm very wary of getting too close or using any of teh nozzles that focus the air.
The next model up is Compu Cleaner Xpert and is £59.99 (normally £69.99) on Amazon atm, so only £10 more than the standard model.... If I didnt already own a version i'd go for the Xpert

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I do the same, motherboard and GPU fans i'm very wary of getting too close or using any of teh nozzles that focus the air.
The next model up is Compu Cleaner Xpert and is £59.99 (normally £69.99) on Amazon atm, so only £10 more than the standard model.... If I didnt already own a version i'd go for the Xpert
The xpert is exactly the same, just comes with more add ons. I have the expert.

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
if i just want simple hardware cleaning, i dont need xpert right? i am planning to buy everything i need today so... yeah

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
if i just want simple hardware cleaning, i dont need xpert right? i am planning to buy everything i need today so... yeah
The expert is the same unit but comes with more add on end parts and anti static brushes.

The anti static brushes were worth it for me alone, they're quite pricey buying decent quality separately.

Aza

Rising Star
The expert is the same unit but comes with more add on end parts and anti static brushes.

The anti static brushes were worth it for me alone, they're quite pricey buying decent quality separately.
Are you sure about this Spyder? Ive looked at the description on amazon and it says it has a two way rocker switch, full power or half power mode which the one I have does not, its just off or on.

Not trying to argue it could well just be sales pitch rubbish.
Regular

Expert

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sincere apogies, now I've had the time to look you're absolutely right, the entry level model only has a static blower whereas the pro has low and high.

BTW they have their own website now, it's often more expensive but sometimes they have quite good deals

Aza

Rising Star
I was checking it over as they are discounted on amazon atm, see if it was worth me buying a new one (the old one is fine, but Xpert has all those attachments and stuff)

For an extra £10, the Xpert looks like a good buy.

Thought I was going a bit crazy/it was sales bluff on the site for a moment there!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was checking it over as they are discounted on amazon atm, see if it was worth me buying a new one (the old one is fine, but Xpert has all those attachments and stuff)

For an extra £10, the Xpert looks like a good buy.

Thought I was going a bit crazy/it was sales bluff on the site for a moment there!
It's more often than not that Amazon listings are often done poorly and mis state some things, but those ones are pretty much copy a d paste from the official website.

Either one is excellent, they're truly designed for electronics and do weird gubbins type magic to reduce static.

I had the normal one before I got the expert a few years ago and I've never had them cause any issues on either laptop or desktop.

Conrad-N7

Silver Level Poster
ok guys and what about a good cooling pad? looking for one between 20-30 quid approx

i see many on amazon but honestly no idea which one isnt a trap lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Aza

Rising Star
ok guys and what about a good cooling pad? looking for one between 20-30 quid approx

i see many on amazon but honestly no idea which one isnt a trap lol
The best one I ever had was actually one from PCS, Zalman I think the brand was. Looking at the stuff on amazon, most of it is horrible.... a lot of really plastic-y stuff that doesnt last.
This looks like the one I had before, but no longer available https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-NC3500-Laptop-Cooling-Ports/dp/B008WJAY8O

Avoid all the Havit/Technet stuff.... really bad quality and wont last 6 months.