Looking to upgrade PC

JD_

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my PC for the first time.

Please see my specs below - i mostly play FPS such as Call Of Duty and CSGO.

I want to be able to play in better settings and higher Frames.

What would you suggest i replace and buy please?

CaseFRACTAL DESIGN ARC MIDI R2 MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4790k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® Z97-PRO GAMER: ATX, USB3.0, SATA 6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
Memory (RAM)16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BEAST DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics CardNONE
3rd Graphics CardNONE
1st Storage Drive240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st M.2 SSD DriveNONE
RAIDNONE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNONE
External Hard DriveNONE
Memory Card ReaderNONE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Fan ControllerNONE
Extra Case FansNONE
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N DUAL-BAND 450Mbps PCI-E CARD

MrWilson

Godlike
I would recommend getting a whole new AMD build. You would need a new motherboard to stay with Intel anyway so it's worth starting anew. AMD is ahead of Intel in all areas at the moment.

You could transfer Windows and your HDD across to the new PC to save a bit of money.
What is your budget?
What monitor do you have? Make/model or resolution/refresh rate would be handy to know.
Any uses for your PC beyond FPS gaming?

JD_

My monitor is:

ASUS VG278QR 27 Inch FHD​

165 Hz​

1920 x 1080​

I'm not sure i have the money for a completely new build. Would i be able to upgrade the graphics card & RAM and see better performance?

I haven't got an exact budget but i would like to keep it as close to £500 as possible if it was just replacing/adding new parts.

If that is possible?

JD_

RAM: I doubt you will get much performance from new RAM, especially given the cost as you will be likely looking at £100+ for 16GB of higher frequency RAM given DDR3 is an old platform.

GPU: You may be able to put in a 1660 Super possibly? Not sure on what the highest that motherboard would take is. Best thing to do is log into your pCS account and check the upgrade section which will list the GPUs that can be put in.
Good shout! Didn't know you could do that.

What is it that is currently limiting me, is it my Motherboard? And if so are they easily swappable?

Sorry if i'm talking rubbish, my knowledge on building PC's is 0.

Thanks

JD_

RAM: I doubt you will get much performance from new RAM, especially given the cost as you will be likely looking at £100+ for 16GB of higher frequency RAM given DDR3 is an old platform.

GPU: You may be able to put in a 1660 Super possibly? Not sure on what the highest that motherboard would take is. Best thing to do is log into your pCS account and check the upgrade section which will list the GPUs that can be put in.
It only gives me options for the 730 which is worse than what i currently have isn't it?

I can't see any Motherboard or RAM options in the upgrade section either.

JD_

Of course, assuming a 1660 Super is compatible with that motherboard, trying to actually source one is a different matter as they are in short supply currently. Could only find a non-Super 1660 at Currys via Click&Collect:

I would definitely see what other advice is offered first before doing anything....as I said, my knowledge of older Intel systems is limited and I would hate to give you erroneous information
Thats great, thanks for your help!