Losing Space but unsure why

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
I have noticed that every time I start my pc up my ssd has around 40gb to 50gb left but I have noticed that if I leave the it on and not do nothing it with my ssd space just drop like last night it was when I turned it on the space I had left was 40gb to 50gb then when I woke up and looked I had 30gb left, It don't hibernate as the off and ill look,scanned ect for mailware, virus's ect I have gone into my c drive and done a disk clean up but there wasn't nothing hugh....can anyone help

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Interesting. There is a neat (and free) tool that I've used called TreeSize, it gives you an explorer type dialog box but with the size of each folder and file clearly shown. You can print the results of each scan so you could take before and after images and then look to see where you were losing space and what you were losing it to.

You might also want to start the Resource Monitor (it's under Administrative Tools in Control Panel) and click on the Disk tab. That will show you in real time which programs are reading and writing to your disk. Obviously you'll have to sit and monitor that for a while.

It's also worth looking at what programs are running when it's idle, it's possible that one of them is downloading stuff in the background? You might try disconnecting your Internet connection before you go to bed and see whether the disk space shrinks then? That would at least tell you whether the extra data is being downloaded or generated locally. In Windows 8 you can see this easily via the Task Manager, you can also monitor and manage the programs that start with Windows 8 from there. In Windows 7 you can also see what background applications and processes are running via the Task Manager but it's not quite so friendly.

I'd start with TreeSize (or something similar) to identify what files and folders the extra space is being used for and then go from there.

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
I have been reading online and everyone saying it could be the pagerule or somthink I'm not a computer wiz so in not 100%... I'm sure it getting downloaded from the net as I have a Internet graph what show the useage n that show nothing

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have been reading online and everyone saying it could be the pagerule or somthink I'm not a computer wiz so in not 100%... I'm sure it getting downloaded from the net as I have a Internet graph what show the useage n that show nothing

Well, as I said, disconnecting from the Internet before going to bed will show for sure whether the extra data is being downloaded. My gut feeling is that it almost certainly is.

If you install TreeSzie you might be able to tell what application is doing this by the names of the folders and files it's creating?

This is really a process of elimination. First you need to prove the data is coming from the Internet. Then you should consider stopping (temporarily) each of the applications you have that access the Internet until you find out which one is the culprit. Sadly there is no magic bullet that's going to tell you what this is, you need to become a detective.

:detective:

PokerFace

Banned
I have noticed that every time I start my pc up my ssd has around 40gb to 50gb left but I have noticed that if I leave the it on and not do nothing it with my ssd space just drop like last night it was when I turned it on the space I had left was 40gb to 50gb then when I woke up and looked I had 30gb left.

So what happens to the disk space if you turn the pc off and then restart? Do you still have only 30GB of space or does it restart with 40 to 50BG and then gradually reduce down to 30GB again?

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
So what happens to the disk space if you turn the pc off and then restart? Do you still have only 30GB of space or does it restart with 40 to 50BG and then gradually reduce down to 30GB again?

sometime when restarted it goes back up then go down slowly but not all the time so like now i have restarted and it still show at 30gb