Loud high pitched noise from laptop.

Elivercury

Hi, I own a Defiance 17" laptop that I've been very happy with for the past two and a bit years I've owned it - spec posted below. I've only ever had two issues with the laptop.

The first is that one day I heard a short sharp high pitched noise, followed by my D: drive promptly disappearing. Tried resetting my PC, looking into partition manager, bios etc. and couldn't find it, assumed my drive was dead. Left it for the night and the next day it appeared to have fixed itself, so left it at that.

Fast forward three weeks to yesterday and I'm using my laptop as normal when suddenly a constant high pitched noise starts coming from my laptop - think dentist drill and you're not far off. I turned it off and back on which seemed to temporarily solve the issue. I played around with the fan speeds (toggling between auto speed and full blast) and they appeared to have no effect on anything. The noise came back after approx 15-20 minutes and I again tried playing with the fan speed but it appeared to make no difference. The noise appears to be coming from the left side of the laptop i.e behind wasd. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this and how to fix it? Do you think it's likely to be a death scream of the SSHD or something else?

Any support appreciated,

Thanks.

1635792373925.png

Elivercury

Never to be honest. I do it occasionally for my desktop as it's simple enough to get the side off and get inside but haven't done so for my laptop.

Is there a guide to which screws to remove to access the back? I'm assuming not all of them.

Elivercury

Managed to get the back off and tbh there wasn't much dust in there.

Tried turning it on to see if there is any improvement but to no avail. Now that I've had the back off and a look inside I've compared where the noises are coming from and it appears to be coming from the single fan in the top left (if you were looking at the laptop lid down) and I am assuming is the CPU fan. It sounds like it's catching on something, but I couldn't see any obstructions.