Love the Desktop, but shipping concerns

Bystander

This is my third machine from PCS, but my first desktop system.

The desktop unit itself is lovely. Zero complaints, it's quiet, powerful, and set up wonderfully. Only issue was a half-hour trying to get the wifi to work properly, which was down to me not screwing in the external aerials to the back of the unit.

As always, having the forum to help on a spec is a great aspect of the site, and delivery time was quick (8 days from order to delivery), including a couple of days delay due to the motherboard being out of stock. Very fast.

But I feel I have to leave some feedback on the shipping.

When the machine arrived yesterday it turned up in a single cardboard box, not particularly strong looking, and the carry handle on the side had ripped due to the weight. Looking through the hole I could see my system directly exposed.
Inside, my base unit was covered in just a clear polythene bag with two foam packing brackets, one at either end. I was able to put my arm through the hole in the cardboard box and directly touch the base unit, it was completely exposed to temperature, and if the weather had been worse it would have been susceptible to water as well.

If anything had pierced the box it would have gone straight into the body of my desktop, there was no additional barrier.
It almost looked like I'd only got the 'inner' packaging box that you would normally see surrounded by second, exterior shipping box.

I'm pleased to say the machine seems absolutely fine, and it won't stop me using PCS in the future. But I felt it was worth flagging up. Most electronic items (including the fan I got delivered the same day) come in a pair of boxes for shipping, and given the cost of these systems I would have expected a similar setup.

However, no harm has been done, and I'm 100% happy with the system. Looking forward to it giving me as many years of service as my old Vortex III.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is my third machine from PCS, but my first desktop system.

The desktop unit itself is lovely. Zero complaints, it's quiet, powerful, and set up wonderfully. Only issue was a half-hour trying to get the wifi to work properly, which was down to me not screwing in the external aerials to the back of the unit.

As always, having the forum to help on a spec is a great aspect of the site, and delivery time was quick (8 days from order to delivery), including a couple of days delay due to the motherboard being out of stock. Very fast.

But I feel I have to leave some feedback on the shipping.

When the machine arrived yesterday it turned up in a single cardboard box, not particularly strong looking, and the carry handle on the side had ripped due to the weight. Looking through the hole I could see my system directly exposed.
Inside, my base unit was covered in just a clear polythene bag with two foam packing brackets, one at either end. I was able to put my arm through the hole in the cardboard box and directly touch the base unit, it was completely exposed to temperature, and if the weather had been worse it would have been susceptible to water as well.

If anything had pierced the box it would have gone straight into the body of my desktop, there was no additional barrier.
It almost looked like I'd only got the 'inner' packaging box that you would normally see surrounded by second, exterior shipping box.

I'm pleased to say the machine seems absolutely fine, and it won't stop me using PCS in the future. But I felt it was worth flagging up. Most electronic items (including the fan I got delivered the same day) come in a pair of boxes for shipping, and given the cost of these systems I would have expected a similar setup.

However, no harm has been done, and I'm 100% happy with the system. Looking forward to it giving me as many years of service as my old Vortex III.
It would be worth emailing PCS directly with this information as they don’t monitor the forums.

This is unusual in my experience and needs to be flagged with them.

I’m very glad you’re happy with the system nevertheless!

de4life

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah this doesn't seem right to me. My laptop came in two boxes, and the first one was huge. I assume they'd usually do the same with desktops.

Robbo

Mine arrived exactly the same way on Tuesday - including a ripped carry handle! I thought it would be a box within a box as well. Luckily it seems no harm was done and my PC works fine.