Low FPS in WoW

UndeadJack

Master Poster
I am playing WoW with the latest patches on my computer, it has dropped from over 200 FPS on ultra in Dalaran and Orgrimmar (most populous areas of the game) to around 20fps. My core temp is 50 degrees at the most on load and the fan speed is 990rpm - do I need to change drivers as I currently have the newest ones. I have a 570.

NMEBowen

Master Poster
hmm cant see it being a ping issue then, what do you have your image settings on performance or quality?

UndeadJack

Master Poster
Well most of my settings were just set to let the application decide. I have restored everything and nothing is better

NMEBowen

Master Poster
hmm dont really know what to suggest i havent even installed wow on this new rig dont plan to either really so cant comment so much anymore but it seems weird as i used to get around 40fps in dalaran on my old 9600gt.

UndeadJack

Master Poster
hmm dont really know what to suggest i havent even installed wow on this new rig dont plan to either really so cant comment so much anymore but it seems weird as i used to get around 40fps in dalaran on my old 9600gt.

I could get <50 FPS on darlaran with ultra on WotLK when it was a hub with a 6800 ultra. Says all.

Gorman

Author Level
First thing i would do is reinstall wow or at least clear out the plugins its using then make sure its set to use DX11

Tracker

Enthusiast
alot of the work is done by the CPU in mmo's, particularly wow, where the wireframe models of all the characters, databases and background processes ( plus constant communication between client and server) really grinds down on the CPU moreso than most other games, and the GPU is left to overlay textures, the only time where the gpu really does anything is rendering water textures with DX11 and when it's doing all the particle effects.

you haven't got it set to update as you play have you? and theres nothing going on in the background which might be slowing down the cpu? other than those two things, the only thing i can think of is that wow recently added a "cleanup" to its auto patch tool which shrinks down the Wow install size to save disk space, if it touches any of the caching as part of this one-time process then it may be that your client is extracting and rebuilding all its cache again from scratch, which will cause the game to run slow for anyone in populated areas (as it detects and loads up the cache with items dynamically as it needs them) though this will decrease once the cache fills up again.

is it constant or does it improve a little after a few minutes of standing in the same area?

Gorman

Author Level
The DX11 setting in wow isnt just a few fancy effects, it was a whole rewrite to use the more efficient API, when it was in beta turning on DX11 saw a frame rate rise of 20-40% on my old rig.

Not played in a while now.

UndeadJack

Master Poster
The DX11 setting in wow isnt just a few fancy effects, it was a whole rewrite to use the more efficient API, when it was in beta turning on DX11 saw a frame rate rise of 20-40% on my old rig.

alot of the work is done by the CPU in mmo's, particularly wow, where the wireframe models of all the characters, databases and background processes ( plus constant communication between client and server) really grinds down on the CPU moreso than most other games, and the GPU is left to overlay textures, the only time where the gpu really does anything is rendering water textures with DX11 and when it's doing all the particle effects.

you haven't got it set to update as you play have you? and theres nothing going on in the background which might be slowing down the cpu? other than those two things, the only thing i can think of is that wow recently added a "cleanup" to its auto patch tool which shrinks down the Wow install size to save disk space, if it touches any of the caching as part of this one-time process then it may be that your client is extracting and rebuilding all its cache again from scratch, which will cause the game to run slow for anyone in populated areas (as it detects and loads up the cache with items dynamically as it needs them) though this will decrease once the cache fills up again.

is it constant or does it improve a little after a few minutes of standing in the same area?

My game is completely patched up. I have an existing LK client which has the same problem but it effects the entirety of azeroth. I have tried deleting the wtf folders and I don't have any adons on my retail client. My cpu handled it fine before. I have DX11 on

TheKeir

Bright Spark
Have you tried running the WoW Repair program? It often manages to fix things like these :)

What happens when you set everything to Low? Does the framerate improve like it should? And try typing the stuff in these brackets: [/console farclip 0] that will set the view distance to zero, do that as part of setting the graphics down.

Also try running WoW in DX9 not 11, see if that makes a difference - my framerate halved when I ran it in DX11.

And maybe I've missed a post somewhere in this thread, but is the framerate still a problem in less populated areas like UC/TB etc?

UndeadJack

Master Poster

The DX11 is better but not enough to make a diff

Have you tried running the WoW Repair program? It often manages to fix things like these :)

What happens when you set everything to Low? Does the framerate improve like it should? And try typing the stuff in these brackets: [/console farclip 0] that will set the view distance to zero, do that as part of setting the graphics down.

Also try running WoW in DX9 not 11, see if that makes a difference - my framerate halved when I ran it in DX11.

And maybe I've missed a post somewhere in this thread, but is the framerate still a problem in less populated areas like UC/TB etc?

DX9 is like death. The framerates usually are 60 (capped) in non populated places but I can get down to 20 in Stranglethorn Vale when NOBODY EVER GOES THERE.

Lucky! I spent the entire expansion going at 5fps in dala! :p

Well that is a shame..

TheKeir

Bright Spark
DX9 is like death. The framerates usually are 60 (capped) in non populated places but I can get down to 20 in Stranglethorn Vale when NOBODY EVER GOES THERE.

The low framerate there has to be because all of the stealthed rogues and kitties in the gurubashi arena! :p

TheKeir

Bright Spark
To get serious, though, I am still trying to think what your problem could be. You mentioned that you can get up to 60 fps in unpopulated places? I assume this changes as soon as you fly into orgrimmar though?