Manjaro on Elimina 17

rodtho

Just done a clean install of Manjaro on my new Elimina 17.3" laptop (Clevo NH77HJ).
There are a couple of issues:
1) The touchpad doesn't work. libinput identifies it as an ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad (which I guess is correct) but it produces no input, even when using libinput debug-events so I'm using a mouse for now. The touchpad didn't work with the Live USB either but I thought a full install with the latest updates might help, sadly it didn't. Lots of people seem to be having similar touchpad problems but I haven't come across a definitive solution that works.
2) When booting the login screen is not shown, it stops at the PCS logo. It has booted because Ctrl-Alt-F2 gives me a console login prompt and if I press Ctrl-Alt-F2 and then Ctrl-Alt-F1 the login screen magically appears. The Live USB booted up OK but then it doesn't have the login screen.
If anyone has had similar experience and knows a solution or can suggest how I can debug the problems I would be grateful. I'm not a complete noob having worked with Linux/Unix since the 70s but any help appreciated.

luke08

I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on my Elimina (the 15,6" version) and I have encountered the first problem too. I managed to make the touchpad work by using psmouse module (sudo modprobe psmouse proto=imps) but it is far from being an optimal solution since the touchpad only works as a mouse (no gestures and it doesn't support disable while typing).
I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work and I was thinking to open a similar thread.
Some solutions I found included changing some settings in the bios but my bios is quite stripped down and you cannot configure anything.
I also tried to use various i8042 flags in Grub but without results.
My dmesg shows some errors with the tpm (which cannot be disabled in bios) before the errors related to the touchpad, but I don't know if the two are correlated.

rodtho

Thanks for the tip, I now have a basic touchpad with psmouse proto=impsadded to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in grub. It also works with bare and exps but can't see any difference.
I had similar experience trying to fiddle with i8042 settings, no joy.
I also have an error with tpm - [Firmware Bug] TPM interrupt not working, polling instead. Not sure what this means or if its relevant.

rodtho

Updated the kernel to 5.12 to see if it fixes the touchpad problem. It doesn't but it uses Wayland and this seems to fix the login screen issue.
It's an ill wind ...

rodtho

On examining dmesg I found this:
genirq: Failed to request resources for ELAN0412:01 (irq 140) on irqchip INT34C6:00
i2c_hid_acpi i2c-ELAN0412:01:Could not register for ELAN0412:01 interrupt, irq = 140, ret = -22
i2c_hid_acpi: probe of i2c-ELAN0412:01 failed with error -22

I guess that's why the touchpad doesn't work, it has no irq.
Anyone know what error -22 is and how I can fix it?

rodtho

Anyone know what touchpad is actually fitted to this machine?
xinput thinks its an ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad but I have seen ads that say its a Microsoft Precision Touchpad.

luke08

I finally managed to make it work. In order to do it, I had to recompile the kernel as suggested here.
Adding
if (pin == 44) pin = 140; on line 127 of drivers/gpio/gpiolib-acpi.c did the trick.
My dmesg showed some problems with gpio just before the i2c_hid error messages, so if it is the same for you I think that it will solve the problem for you, too.

flyingfox

I ran into the same issue with the touchpad not working on the Elimina II, installing pop os. Updating the kernel to 5.13.12 resolved the issue, so if it was the same issue you were having looks like the patch has made it into the latest linux kernel.

monchomark

I finally managed to make it work. In order to do it, I had to recompile the kernel as suggested here.
Adding
if (pin == 44) pin = 140; on line 127 of drivers/gpio/gpiolib-acpi.c did the trick.
My dmesg showed some problems with gpio just before the i2c_hid error messages, so if it is the same for you I think that it will solve the problem for you, too.
nicely done. I'm looking forward on seeing issues in my next elimina (pro) linux machine.... in a previous pcs machine i had brightness issues in linux, do you have that?