Mass Effect Trilogy Remaster (Legendary Edition)

barlew

Godlike
I'm interested in playing a wide variety of games - to be honest, there's games on the wishlist that I no longer want, but I don't have the patience to go in, scroll through the list and remove them. I usually wait for them to pop up in a weekly Steam sale, then remove them.

I currently have 2,470 games in my library and that's going up by a half a dozen or so each month thanks to Humble Bundle. It'll be beyond 2,500 before the end of the year!
😂 ridiculous. I have 508 and I thought that was excessive!

barlew

Godlike
And there we go. It took me 3 months but I have just finished playing through the legendary edition. Completed ME3 for the first time today.

My thoughts on ME3 are mixed as are my thoughts for the entire trilogy.

ME3 for better and worse has been further streamlined much like the changes which were made between ME1 - 2. Practically gone are the horrific planet scanning sequences of ME2 which is a relief. The gun play has also been greatly improved making this the best feeling ME for shooting. This does tend to make it feel more like a dedicated 3rd person shooter though and much less of an RPG.

The RPG levelling mechanics sit weirdly between those of ME1 and ME2, and frankly by the middle of the game my shepherd was so ludicrously over powered the enemies were entirely pointless.

That being said I thoroughly enjoyed the game and the series. My overall take away however, was that it felt to me like BioWare never actually found a happy formula with the series which is a bit of a shame, but possibly a product of the time they were made. I would have liked the remasters to have gone further but that's a minor gripe.

Overall it was a fantastic experience due to the phenomenal story telling.

Now I need to install Andromeda.

barlew

Godlike
Let me save you 30-50 hours. Don’t bother.

Having your prostate exam performed by an orangutan with a pineapple in his hand would be more fun than playing through that heap of garbage.
I knew it wasn't ideal but is it really that bad?
Does the fact I got it for about £1.85 in the steam sale change the equation?

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Oh come on !

I cannot agree with you on that one dear Cats-master (@AgentCooper, to be clear XD) !
It was not that bad
I enjoyed it !
(To be fair, you clearly cannot compare it to ME3, but I take it as a new beginning, so, for me, it should be compared to ME1, story wise ...)
Anyway, as it's true that it don't match ME3, I prefered it to ME2 for example...

So, even if it has flaws, is not the best and so on, I enjoyed this journey

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I knew it wasn't ideal but is it really that bad?
Does the fact I got it for about £1.85 in the steam sale change the equation?
£1.85 is probably about what it’s worth. It took everything that was good about the original trilogy and just made it duller and dumbed down.

Actually, the combat was okay. I will give it that. But it felt like a huge step backwards after the grandiose space opera that preceded it.

Just play Mass Effect 2 again, you’ll enjoy that more 👍

barlew

Godlike
£1.85 is probably about what it’s worth. It took everything that was good about the original trilogy and just made it duller and dumbed down.

Actually, the combat was okay. I will give it that. But it felt like a huge step backwards after the grandiose space opera that preceded it.

Just play Mass Effect 2 again, you’ll enjoy that more 👍
Ill push it right to the back of my queue. I think Ill start CyberPunk!

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Mass Effect is still probably one of my favourite game IPs it is no where near perfect but as a story its good.

Take ME3, get rid of the stupid dream sequences and put it ontop of ME2's design and you have a great game.

ME2 is my least enjoyable one (because i played it to death on release :D so i normally give up a trilogy run half way through 2) + they waste legions character if you actually want a good ending for your "crew". Let me recruit him much earlier :(.

Andromeda is alright.. struggles with re-playability and was plagued by issues on launch. It's not a bad game but because of the scope each area turns into a slog if you try to replay it. Wasted potential as they cancelled support straight after launch so no DLCs and the story didn't get finished. Plus a very bad design choice with the dialogue options, YES it added more interesting conversations but removed the ability to just be BAD or good