Microphone stopped working on Cosmos IX

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

Since today, my built-in microphone stopped working on my Cosmos IX, Windows 10 20H2 update. I tried the Windows troubleshooting which doesn't pick up any problems, and I also tried removing the microphone in device manager, let Windows reinstall the driver, without luck. The mic is supposedely working but doesn't pick up any sound when testing it in the sound settings. No input monitored either.

Not sure what is going on?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi all,

Since today, my built-in microphone stopped working on my Cosmos IX, Windows 10 20H2 update. I tried the Windows troubleshooting which doesn't pick up any problems, and I also tried removing the microphone in device manager, let Windows reinstall the driver, without luck. The mic is supposedely working but doesn't pick up any sound when testing it in the sound settings. No input monitored either.

Not sure what is going on?
Are you sure it's not just the volume turned down?

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Yeap, it's maxed out in Windows' setting.

1609875335176.png

Bhuna50

Author Level
Have you tried the troubleshoot?

Go into Device Manager and under Audio Inputs and outputs - is it still listed - likely to be Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio) - any error signs/warning icons on it?

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Yes as I said in my opening post, troubleshoot is not picking up any errors.

And below is my device manager. Microphone is present and seem to be working. I did uninstall it and restarted to let Windows reinstall the driver, which it did, to no avail.

1609880289611.png

EDIT: It is now working again, without me doing anything at all! It seems connecting my bluetooth speaker and disconnecting it solved it... Go figure. Anyway, thanks!

Bhuna50

Author Level
Is your headset plugged in when you are trying it?

When you open the sound settings what is listed in the Input section:

1609880580680.png

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Is your headset plugged in when you are trying it?

When you open the sound settings what is listed in the Input section:

View attachment 21067

It is working again now. The only thing I did was connect my bluetooth speaker and disconnect it. No idea why this worked...

And yes, the input device was properly configured even before solving the issue.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Well, it seems actually the solution was very much short lived...

It doesn't work anymore! What I did notice is that sometimes if I apply pressure where the headphone and mic jacks are on the chassis, the mic gets back on, so it seems it has to do with contact in one of the jacks. I tried to "work" the jacks by plugging a mini jack in and out repeatedly to no avail. Maybe some of you can advise me as to what next steps I can safely take to find what's wrong with the jack in/out? Maybe cleaning it? Opening the chassis?

Bhuna50

Author Level
Might be worth opening the chassis if you feel comfortable doing so and checking near the jack points to see if there are any obvious loose wires / connections at all.

If you are not comfortable doing that, then the suggestions are - RMA it, or consider a USB headset and live with the fact that the jackpoint is faulty - not that you should have to, but if you cannot be without the machine at the moment for a period of time, then its an option until such time as you can.

Bhuna50

Author Level
One other thought - have you tried a different microphone/headset at all - just in case it is your 3.5mm connector on the current microphone that is faulty.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Yes I am still talking about the built-in mic. That should work whether or not I am using a headset. It might be a short in the jack which makes the computer believe there is a headset plugged-in when there isn't. Upon pressure it goes back to the built-in mic.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Sorry my bad - as you mentioned pushing the jackpoints earlier, I thought you meant a plug in mic.

Bhuna50

Author Level
So going back then to this, you have a headset plugged in as well yes?

does the mic on the headset work ok, but you are saying the mic on the laptop isnt working?

Usually one overrides the other, so when plugged in, the laptop mic would get muted and you would be using the headset mic - or are you saying that when the headset is unplugged, the laptop mic isnt working?

What is selected as your input device - as shown in my picture above in a previous post?

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
So going back then to this, you have a headset plugged in as well yes?

does the mic on the headset work ok, but you are saying the mic on the laptop isnt working?

Usually one overrides the other, so when plugged in, the laptop mic would get muted and you would be using the headset mic - or are you saying that when the headset is unplugged, the laptop mic isnt working?

What is selected as your input device - as shown in my picture above in a previous post?

So when I plug my headset, I can't use the headset mic, it doesn't work (whether it's plugged in the headphone jack or the mic jack). That being said, this headset is very old and I'm not sure the mic works anymore. I don't have another wired headset to try that with.

But that doesn't really bothers me. What does bother me is that whether something is plugged in or not, I can't use the laptop's built-in mic. It behaves as I reported previously, and a pressure around the jack points on the chassis sometimes make it work again, as long as the pressure is held.

Input device selected is always Microphone (Realtek).

Bhuna50

Author Level
OK - sorry just I was getting confused :) -

so based on:

- it is showing up in device manager and not showing any missing drivers / issues
- it is showing up in the input device as microphone
- it intermittently works and requires you to press the casing / release the casing to do so,

it is sounding to me like it could be a hardware fault rather than a software / driver fault.

As such, the only suggestion I have is to RMA the machine, assuming its under warranty unless someone else has any other ideas sorry.

Have you called PCS (unfortunately it might be a wait on the phone) to talk it through with a technician at all in case there are any other options.

InTheMood

Bronze Level Poster
Hey!

So I opened the chassis and examined around the board and the mic input to find out where is the built-in mic connection without success. Couldn't really see anything loose in there.

I just recorded the built-in mic as I press the lower end of the casing (near the touchpad on the side), and I could hear crackling (similar to when you plug/unplug a jack cable) followed by my voice, clear. Obviously as soon as I release the casing it stops.

Very odd especially considering the part of the casing I need to press. Definitely sounding like loose connection but I can't find the location of the wires online (CLEVO website seems to be unhelpful in that regard).

Will try calling PCS but if you have any other suggestions I'm all ears!