Microsoft DirectStorage - Is it going to be a benefit to gaming

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
TLDR - absolutely.... YES. In short it bypasses transferring the game assets to the CPU and goes directly into the GPU, heavily reducing load times. Don't think of an initial game load time, think of in game load times, that's where the magic happens.

This is a significant step up for PC gaming. If anyone is familiar with the PS5 (which uses Sony's version of DirectStorage), and especially games like Ratchet & Clank which showcases this new technology, you can see first hand the benefits:

Linus Tech Tips have just done a video on the new tech in windows:

So basically, if you're configuring a new PC, spec the FASTEST dedicated gaming drive you can, 980 pro or Firecuda 530. You will get a benfit from it.

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In theory, and once each of the technologies are connected (DirectStorage, in-GPU decompression, etc.), then I can see huge loading improvements...as long as this doesn't mean devs become lazy when they realise they've suddenly got a 'get out of jail free' card to play.

Whether I'll notice or not will depend on the game, and whether it assists 'streaming' assets or replaces it - as I can see the best benefits from taking advantage of all technologies.

A the moment, the only real-world demo I've seen (Foresaken) shows more like a 10% improvement...not the 300% improvement...but of course this will get better, very quickly.

Taken from this page (just the DirectStorage, no in-GPU decompression yet)...

2022-03-27_12-46-26.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In theory, and once each of the technologies are connected (DirectStorage, in-GPU decompression, etc.), then I can see huge loading improvements...as long as this doesn't mean devs become lazy when they realise they've suddenly got a 'get out of jail free' card to play.

Whether I'll notice or not will depend on the game, and whether it assists 'streaming' assets or replaces it - as I can see the best benefits from taking advantage of all technologies.

A the moment, the only real-world demo I've seen (Foresaken) shows more like a 10% improvement...not the 300% improvement...but of course this will get better, very quickly.

Taken from this page (just the DirectStorage, no in-GPU decompression yet)...

View attachment 32927
It's a brand new tech, as with all, will take a few version updates to realise full potential buy the potential is significant.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So looks like early meaningful implementations of DirectStorage are starting to show, and it’s not surprising that the PlayStation 5 showcase of this technology is the one to properly implement it on the pc port (Rachet & Clank - Rift Apart)

Skip to 8:53

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
This is a significant step up for PC gaming. If anyone is familiar with the PS5 (which uses Sony's version of DirectStorage), and especially games like Ratchet & Clank which showcases this new technology

apparently ratchet and clank now has ray tracing on amd cards

Last edited: