Microsoft Security Essentials

Nemesis

Is it any good????
Asking here because tbh this forums advice i trust more than any dodgy article you find on the net... so.......
Oh and as you can probably guess, I ask this as my Bullguard AV Trial has run out today and I dont wish to buy it

P.S how are the regulars cos i havent been around in a while and im a bit out of touch?

Nemesis

Oh yeah forgot about that.......... HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!!!!!!! aaah thats better
oops shame on, me in my laziness i've in a way made a double post.
Damn i used to be good at thread bumping. Ill go now...Ta!

Tom DWC

lol I think after 4 months you can get away with it haha.

If that's a double post then we should probably all give it up to be honest!

P.S how are the regulars cos I haven't been around in a while and I'm a bit out of touch?

Well everybody's still here and well as I know. Good forum this. :)

Stappa

Enthusiast
The latest virus test in Com shopper/PC pro found that AVG FREE 2011 out- preformed MSE as well as most paid for A/V suits, I've used AVG for years with no complaints

Last edited:

PokerFace

Banned
The latest virus test in Com shopper/PC pro found that AVG 2011 out preformed MSE as well as most pais for A/V suits, I've used AVG for years with no complaints

I was using AVG (10..I think), but when I tried to upgrade to AVG11 I couldn't, because although I'd removed AVG10, when I tried to load 11 it kept telling me I had an earlier version installed that needed to be removed first. I ended up going with Avast instead....seems ok so far.

Nemesis

Yer I considered AVG as that was what I had on my last computer but its too resource hogging!
And Avast has this annoying sound where it asks you to buy it!

Nemesis

If I was buying then id think of getting ESET because apparently thats a really solid AV as well as being lightweight

Al.Neri

Super Star
If I was buying then id think of getting ESET because apparently thats a really solid AV as well as being lightweight

I've got it and it is. I hardly know it's running apart from the pop up messages telling me that a scan has started, or that the latest definitions have been downloaded.

also, it's dirt cheap on amazon at the moment, I got a years sub for under £15. I just checked again and the price has dropped even further than what it was when I bought it, currently at £12.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESET-Smart-...RWJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294442874&sr=8-2

I'd snap it up if I was you, for that price, you can't go wrong.

PokerFace

Banned
Yer I considered AVG as that was what I had on my last computer but its too resource hogging!
And Avast has this annoying sound where it asks you to buy it!

I haven't had any "annoying sound" from Avast asking me to buy it. There is an annoying voice that announces that the update has been done, but you can choose to see/hear the announcements or not.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
I was using MSE but I managed to get a free licence code for AVG when I upgraded my internet connection so I'm using that now. It is better but I would have stayed with MSE if I couldn't have got a free code because I don't like spending money lol.

Stappa

Enthusiast

Just checked my task manager and AVG Free 2011 uses 4600 k (4.6MB) hardly a resource hog considering the abilities of modern PC's??? AVG 2011 free was the only A/V suit to comprehensively beat virtually all Free/Paid for suits???

Last edited:

JSG10

Expert
I've been using MSE on my new rig (along with Windows Firewall) and haven't had any problems at all.....yet lol Quite happy with it though, barely notice it running and appears to be doing a good job :)

Al.Neri

Super Star
are you an employed rep for avg or something?

I only ever used avg once and it was a complete pain in the arse.

Stappa

Enthusiast
are you an employed rep for avg or something?

I only ever used avg once and it was a complete pain in the arse.

Luckily no,but all the independent reviews cant be wrong,lets face it we all make our decisions on research/reviews(user&pro) thats how we decide?? It's not rocket science LOL

Nemesis

hey guys I'm just quoting what I've read
tbh as long as I've a AV in the first place then I'm happy
so please don't go arguing cos that's not really what this is about is it?
I just wondered if anyone could vouch for MSE that's all
at the end of the day its a good thing that we all use different software
because without diversity there's never any innovation