Migrating data from one computer to another

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
As Microsoft removed the migrate feature from Windows 10, what is the best way to move data from one computer to another.

Is it possible to do this with the backup & restore feature? The laptop I currently have backs up to an external hard drive & was easy to restore when I needed the internal hard drive replaced a few years ago.

Otherwise I'll have to copy all my files manually to the external drive then transfer them to the new computer I have currently on order. I did this the last time I changed computers, especially after trying to set up a LAN and finding the data transfer was very slow.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As Microsoft removed the migrate feature from Windows 10, what is the best way to move data from one computer to another.

Is it possible to do this with the backup & restore feature? The laptop I currently have backs up to an external hard drive & was easy to restore when I needed the internal hard drive replaced a few years ago.

Otherwise I'll have to copy all my files manually to the external drive then transfer them to the new computer I have currently on order. I did this the last time I changed computers, especially after trying to set up a LAN and finding the data transfer was very slow.
If you just connect the new machine to the network, just copy and paste over to the new machine.

Unless we're talking TB's worth of data, just run that and leave it going for a while.

Quicker way is just to remove the laptop drive, temporarily plug it in to the new computer and directly copy the data off the drive that way, that would be the quickest.

Bhuna50

Author Level
I had 2.5” drives in my old machine and turned them into USB 3.0 drives then copied the data across one evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk