Mini Pc config

Lukasz

Hi everybody,
I am looking for mini pc for: internet, music and photo storage, photo editing, I want to connect it to my LCD Sony Bravia and also is it possible to keep it on laying position? (like the Hush Silent PC) I will be appreciate for any suggestions.
This is my spec,
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3-2100 Dual Core (3.10GHz, 3MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8H61-I: Mini-ITX, LG1155, USB 3.0, SATA 3GBs
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 - DVI,HDMI,VGA
Memory - Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BC-5500H 4x BLURAY ROM/DVD WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£84)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Sound Card
ONBOARD 10 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Bluetooth & Wireless
WIRELESS-N (150Mbps) 3dBi HIGH GAIN USB ADAPTER
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)
External Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK250 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£19)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £546.00 including VAT and delivery.

Teaz

Godlike
Nothing i'd change unless going for the GT 430 to get a nicer resolution for that sony bravia of yours :) If you plan to write on Blu Ray then stick with the writer but if not go for the Rom to save you money :)

It certainly should be able to lay down on the flat side with no problems, just not clear on which way the disc drive is facing but im certainly sure it is facing the outer side which would be Up if layed down so a disc doesn't drop out the tray but im sure its facing up to allow the mini pc to lay down. The Hush Silent can also be layed down flat also.

Lukasz

Thanks a lot for your reply, firstly, this GT 430 is of course, the Graphic Card? what could you recommend? secondly, I will have a look at different drive, I just need a DVD/Blue Ray ROM.

Teaz

Godlike
Yes the GT430 is the graphics card that you could consider :) The £84 BluRay Rom drive is the one you may be looking for as that will allow you to write and read on CDs and DVDs as normal while still being able to watch/read Blu Ray. The writer just allows you to write to blu ray which is and expensive thing.

Lukasz

I've just done this spec, followed your advice I've gone for GT 430 Graphic Card, although stay at £84 BluRay Rom, because there is no cheaper option with BluRay Rom any suggestions?
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i3-2100 Dual Core (3.10GHz, 3MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8H61-I: Mini-ITX, LG1155, USB 3.0, SATA 3GBs
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 430 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
SONY BC-5500H 4x BLURAY ROM/DVD WRITER & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE (£84)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Sound Card
ONBOARD 10 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
WIRELESS-N (150Mbps) 3dBi HIGH GAIN USB ADAPTER
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables
1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)
Keyboard & Mouse
LOGITECH® MK250 WIRELESS KEYBOARD & MOUSE COMBO (£19)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 10 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £575.00 including VAT and delivery.

Teaz

Godlike
The spec looks real good :) unfortunatly there is no cheaper option for these Mini PCs so the current £84 blu ray rom drive will be fine. Nothing else to change unless you wish for a faster drive which is the caviar black drive or more storage to whichever suits you :)

Lukasz

Thanks again for your advice, I'm pretty convince now, do you know any disadvantages of having the Mini PC?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
disadvantages, not easy to customize, in some cases harder than a laptop. more likely to overheat due to small spacing between parts and that is about it

Teaz

Godlike
Missed this thread as it got covered by other threads.

Adding to Wozza365's comment, its upgradeability isnt really flexible and is similar to laptop restrictions but abit more flexible than laptops. They Aren't powerful so they are just good for simple everyday use or home theater/server setups and storage. They can do pretty much anything so long as it isnt cpu intensive like heavy duty of editing so just simple use will be no problems with it.

Lukasz

Thanks guys, I've ordered my one, so I hope it will fill the bill, I haven't got a huge demands (re. to photo editing, Nikon view NX or lightroom) apart from that as you mentioned every day use. I am a bit concern about upgrade-ability, although I have had to find compromise between size and capability.