Minor niggle on startup

Hiya, I have had my PC for a few weeks now and every time I press the power button it powers up for a few seconds and then shuts down. It starts up fine on the second attempt so it doesn't seem to be affecting the performance and is just a minor niggle really but I am wondering if it can be easily fixed.

Thanks, the full spec is below:

Processor (CPU) AMD Ryzen 5 3500X Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.1GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard ASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB
CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power Supply CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card Asus Xonar SE 5.1-Channel Gaming Audio Card
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT
PORTS
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]

steaky360

Has this happened ever since you bought it or did it only start after 'something or some time'?

Do you get any error messages or any weird beeps from the computer (a POST code of some kind)?

Thanks for the reply. It has always done this and there are no error messages when it does start up properly. On first startup it beeps a few times then shuts down. That's all I can tell you!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the reply. It has always done this and there are no error messages when it does start up properly. On first startup it beeps a few times then shuts down. That's all I can tell you!
We need the beep code, usually identified by the order of short and long beeps?

steaky360

OK, I won't be starting it up until this evening so will try to record the code and then let you know.
You don't need to record it, just count the beeps :)

Basically it'll beep a few times, some of them will be short and some long.

If you struggle, by all means record it but its usually straight forward enough to just count em :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You don't need to record it, just count the beeps :)

Basically it'll beep a few times, some of them will be short and some long.

If you struggle, by all means record it but its usually straight forward enough to just count em :)
ab654c3b22c180ed9f587d2f4bd3d270.png

Hello again. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you as I forgot my password and needed to reset it! Anyway, as it turns out I have realised that when I press the power button it sort of starts up and appears to check the DVD drive (no beeps at this point) then appears to shut down but then about 10 seconds later starts up and sounds one short beep! I didn't realise this before and was just pressing the power button again unnecessarily!

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
If it is doing this it is quite normal, although I would expect it on something with max-speed RAM (usually RAM re-training), although the 10-second delay bit isn't. If you're happy running it like this you should be fine. But if you do want to try some things we may have some recommendations if you want to try anything.

Thanks, I think I can live with it! Just wanted to be sure it wasn't a symptom of something more concerning. Thanks for the responses. It's good to have some decent customer support.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Very glad to hear Steelycat :) If it gets worse or changes in any way please let us know. I have made a note on your account that this is happening in case you ever need to ring up about it.