Misleading ethernet description in configuration tool

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The configuration tool says that the default ethernet port is gigabit:

1681389220442.png

1681389242646.png

1681389264691.png

However, this is not true. Most (all?) current-gen motherboards offer 2.5Gb ethernet, rather than gigabit. I've seen several people unnecessarily add an unnecessary and redundant ethernet card to their PC, thinking they need it for 2.5Gb ethernet when it's already on the motherboard.

It would be great if this could be "motherboard default LAN port" or something similar instead...

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The configurator has been borked for some time:
  • cases that supposedly can't fit 40x0 GPUs and 240mm coolers, and nowhere to select 'top-mounted' as an option
  • top-spec / extreme build configurators that prompt you to save £20 by fitting a throw-away PSU
  • top-spec / extreme build configurators that offer unsuitable/cheap motherboards
  • still offering the useless £8 wi-fi card
  • and my upgrade options listing incompatible upgrades (i.e. no 5800X3D available for me, but I am offered all of the 7x00 CPUs)
I understand there are a lot of components moving around the system, and there's always going to be some issues (and I notice the sub-3200MHz RAM has disappeared from the top-spec/extreme configs), but it just means I can't be bothered to try and tweak a build when the items I want to change - and that I know will fit - will not let me proceed to be able to post it.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
  • cases that supposedly can't fit 40x0 GPUs and 240mm coolers, and nowhere to select 'top-mounted' as an option
  • top-spec / extreme build configurators that prompt you to save £20 by fitting a throw-away PSU
  • top-spec / extreme build configurators that offer unsuitable/cheap motherboards
  • and my upgrade options listing incompatible upgrades (i.e. no 5800X3D available for me, but I am offered all of the 7x00 CPUs)
I understand there are a lot of components moving around the system, and there's always going to be some issues (and I notice the sub-3200MHz RAM has disappeared from the top-spec/extreme configs), but it just means I can't be bothered to try and tweak a build when the items I want to change - and that I know will fit - will not let me proceed to be able to post it.
Agreed in every particular, but I was trying to limit it to a single easily-fixed item, rather than the broader issues that definitely exist...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The configuration tool says that the default ethernet port is gigabit:

View attachment 36663
View attachment 36664
View attachment 36665

However, this is not true. Most (all?) current-gen motherboards offer 2.5Gb ethernet, rather than gigabit. I've seen several people unnecessarily add an unnecessary and redundant ethernet card to their PC, thinking they need it for 2.5Gb ethernet when it's already on the motherboard.

It would be great if this could be "motherboard default LAN port" or something similar instead...
This is great, if you can report anything like this, there's also a bug in the PM chats on android where formatting options are greyed out so can't attach an image or do basic formatting.

I'll draw up the list and send them an email

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

I'll try and correct what I can in the morning!

motherboard default LAN port

Ethernet wise we will had to address this on a configurator by configurator basis.

Case GPU wise i'll speak to the web development team to see if we can code something in.

top-spec / extreme build configurators that prompt you to save £20 by fitting a throw-away PSU
Are you referring to the VS PSUs or the system trying to avoid over selling on wattage?

top-spec / extreme build configurators that offer unsuitable/cheap motherboards
We are in the situation with 10th/11th/12th and 13th gen CPUs being live products so its meant our configurators have gotten a bit bloated until the Intel Home Office configurator swaps. Originally this didn't swap as the cost for an entry level 10th/11th gen vs 12th gen still had a large gap. It is on the cards to correct back to Home Office and Top Spec being defined configurators again soon!

and my upgrade options listing incompatible upgrades (i.e. no 5800X3D available for me, but I am offered all of the 7x00 CPUs)
I did get to the end of the rabbit hole on that one and it was an error on one configurator

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hey all,

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

I'll try and correct what I can in the morning!

Ethernet wise we will had to address this on a configurator by configurator basis.

Case GPU wise i'll speak to the web development team to see if we can code something in.

Are you referring to the VS PSUs or the system trying to avoid over selling on wattage?

We are in the situation with 10th/11th/12th and 13th gen CPUs being live products so its meant our configurators have gotten a bit bloated until the Intel Home Office configurator swaps. Originally this didn't swap as the cost for an entry level 10th/11th gen vs 12th gen still had a large gap. It is on the cards to correct back to Home Office and Top Spec being defined configurators again soon!

I did get to the end of the rabbit hole on that one and it was an error on one configurator
Fine investigative work there, good sir.

5AC3BA9F-1728-4696-8BE4-B92CC9526314.jpeg

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
...snip...

...snip...
Sorry, didn't see my bit quoted!

I'm referring to the CV PSUs that are offered when using the top-spec/extreme configurator (I don't think I've seen a VS in the top-spec/extreme configurator).

I understand the '20% headroom' bit in the notes, but it ignores the extra power these PSUs require, and extra heat they generate when operating outside of their efficiency windows...and of course, the CV ones are less efficient in the first place being 80+ bronze/silver vs 80+ gold.

So whilst a CV650 would nominally support a 450w build (with the 20% headroom), it would be operating in a less efficient manner than:
  1. an RM650 due to the extra efficiency 80+ Gold vs 80+ Bronze
  2. an RM750 due to the extra efficiency of running closer to a the optimal 40-60% load
...plus it seems a bit odd to prompt to downgrade to a lesser PSU in a top-spec/extreme configurator, when there's no such prompt around more serious issues such as unsuitable coolers for hot CPUs.

Of course, I could have completely misunderstood everything about PSUs, so forgive me if what I've said above is nothing but the ravings of a freeman of the wibble!

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
All feedback is good feedback! I'll look at it a bit more but again I think it should resolve a lot of issues when our configurations go to 12th and 13th gen only.

The 2.5Gbe feedback has been actioned on the 12th gen top spec DDR4 configurator (and all motherboards will now notify you if you try to order a 2.5Gbe card and the motherboard already has one). I've left it available to order in case the odd customer wants 2 x and I hope the wording of the pop up is clear enough. We should have the rest of the configurator default options corrected shortly.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
All feedback is good feedback! I'll look at it a bit more but again I think it should resolve a lot of issues when our configurations go to 12th and 13th gen only.

The 2.5Gbe feedback has been actioned on the 12th gen top spec DDR4 configurator (and all motherboards will now notify you if you try to order a 2.5Gbe card and the motherboard already has one). I've left it available to order in case the odd customer wants 2 x and I hope the wording of the pop up is clear enough. We should have the rest of the configurator default options corrected shortly.
That's brilliant: I think it'll be really helpful.