Missing Drive in Windows

TomF0

I have a Recoil II laptop which has two m.2 SSDs installed, one 256GB Samsung and 1TB Crucial. Until recently both worked with no issues and also showed no issues on SMART checks.

Today the 1TB is no longer appearing in Windows and any data/applications stored on the disk are not working.

The drive does show in BIOS.
I have tried removing and reseating the drive but no result, the drive still does not appear in windows. The disk management tool does not show any trace of the disk, only the primary drive.
When the laptop is running the activity light on the drive is flashing.

Attachments

• Device Manager.png
    Device Manager.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Disk management.png
    Disk management.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 21
  • BIOS.png
    BIOS.png
    296.5 KB · Views: 28

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a Recoil II laptop which has two m.2 SSDs installed, one 256GB Samsung and 1TB Crucial. Until recently both worked with no issues and also showed no issues on SMART checks.

Today the 1TB is no longer appearing in Windows and any data/applications stored on the disk are not working.

The drive does show in BIOS.
I have tried removing and reseating the drive but no result, the drive still does not appear in windows. The disk management tool does not show any trace of the disk, only the primary drive.
When the laptop is running the activity light on the drive is flashing.
Can you post your full specs from the order page?

That would suggest the SSD driver has become corrupt somehow if it's being registered in the BIOS but not windows.

Are there any unknown devices in device manager?

Have you used any driver updaters? If so which one?

What anti virus are you using?

TomF0

Here is the specs, the second drive was added later on and is a Crucial P1 CT1000P1SSD8.
no driver update tools used other than windows update. I tried installing and checking the Crucial update software but as windows now doesn't recognise the drive it can't update it either.

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 - 6.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive250GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3400MB/R, 1500MB/W)
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 2 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 150W AC Adaptor
Power Cable2 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryRecoil II Series 46WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9560 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard LanguagePER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days

Detailed Specification
Dimensions & Weight
Dimensions (w x d x h)359mm x 236mm x 22mm
Weight2.0Kg (inc. battery)
ColourBrushed black aluminium
Chipset
Processor SupportSupports 9th Generation Intel Core Processors
Memory
Memory TypeSupports DDR4 2400MHz
Number of Modules2 x 1GB/2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB Modules
Maximum Supported Memory32GB
Hard Drive Capacity
Hard Drive Type1 x 7mm, 2.5" S-ATA HDD support
M.2 Port3 x M.2 Ports (1st for WLAN, 2nd for SSD M.2 2280 Card with SATA / PCIe Gen3x4 interface, 3rd for SSD M.2 2280 Card with PCIe Gen3x4 Interface)
Display & Graphics
GraphicsChoice of graphics cards - refer to configurator.
Screen Size15.6 inch Widescreen
Native/Maximum Resolution1920 x 1080

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
No unknown devices
Windows security/defender
Ok, the issue isn't that the drive isn't showing in windows, the core issue is what caused the driver to become corrupted.

If you create a bootable windows USB from here: Download Windows 11Microsofthttps://www.microsoft.com › software-download › wi...

Boot from it and progress to a custom windows install.

That will take you to list your disks and partitions, obviously don't change anything, but just see if it lists the drive successfully.

I suspect it will (I'm hoping).

If it does list it, then it conclusively proves that something running within your existing windows has caused low level driver corruption. I wouldn't bother trying to repair that within windows, because it's likely to get worse with time and more corruption will occur. Rather than attempting to correct it, I'd strongly suggest a clean install of windows. That should automatically pick up the drive with all existing data intact. Obviously if you had programs installed on it, those would need to be installed clean (you should never install programs off the C drive). If it's purely games on there, you don't need to reinstall those, you can just install the games launcher on C and point it to the library on D

If it doesn't register the drive in the windows installer, then something else is going on and suggests and issue with the drive itself.