Monitor advice 2k+4k or

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
Hey guys
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2nd monitor (Samsung C24F390 1080p) and either getting a 2k or a 4k. I currently run the 1080p Samsung along with my main monitor (BENQ EX2780Q) which is a decent 2k 144hz gaming monitor. I also run a Wacom cintiq 16hd when I'm working
I have a 3090 and assume it will be fine running 4k with 2k or is it better to get just a 2nd 2k? also should I aim for 144hz?
I'm not sure how monitor refresh rates get screwed if you run different types. So far the 1080p 60hz has been running fine with my 2k 144hz but the resolution difference is noticeable when moving windows between screens :)
Any advice?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey guys
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2nd monitor (Samsung C24F390 1080p) and either getting a 2k or a 4k. I currently run the 1080p Samsung along with my main monitor (BENQ EX2780Q) which is a decent 2k 144hz gaming monitor. I also run a Wacom cintiq 16hd when I'm working
I have a 3090 and assume it will be fine running 4k with 2k or is it better to get just a 2nd 2k? also should I aim for 144hz?
I'm not sure how monitor refresh rates get screwed if you run different types. So far the 1080p 60hz has been running fine with my 2k 144hz but the resolution difference is noticeable when moving windows between screens :)
Any advice?
For a second screen, you don't benefit from high refresh rate at all, but higher resolution the better.

It all depends what your budget is, but a good 4k 60Hz would be my choice as a secondary monitor.

EmmaWilliamson688

Silver Level Poster
I was debating just going for a decent 2nd gaming monitor. I dont know if it makes any difference being gsync or not, my benq monitor isnt gsync or gsync compatible, only freesync. But as for budget , i dont really have any but i also cant justify spending a stupid amount on a monitor. Potentially il want to game on both at same time for when i play wow(i have 2 accounts). It would therefor make sense for me to have them both at the same resolution i guess.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I was debating just going for a decent 2nd gaming monitor. I dont know if it makes any difference being gsync or not, my benq monitor isnt gsync or gsync compatible, only freesync. But as for budget , i dont really have any but i also cant justify spending a stupid amount on a monitor. Potentially il want to game on both at same time for when i play wow(i have 2 accounts). It would therefor make sense for me to have them both at the same resolution i guess.
Ah, yeah, if you're gaming with 2 individual accounts, then I would just get a second of the same as your current 2k monitor.

GSync and Freesync are the same thing, GSync is NVidia's version of it which requires a hardware module in the monitor, therefor costs more and offers very little benefit over freesync so is largely being phased out
Freesync is AMD's version and purely done via software, performs very much the same as GSync but much cheaper.
You also get GSync compatible which is just freesync that has been "sanctioned" by nvidia to be worthy of their monikor

But either version now works with any make of GPU.

MrWilson

Godlike
If you’re happy with your BENQ monitor you can nab another one at Currys for £219, which is a pretty great deal all things considered. There are some better monitors on the market, but if your current monitor ticks your boxes there’s no real reason to spend more on a more premium option.