Monitor advice

gigino

Hello!

i recently bought a vyperIII, configured with a 2070 (non-super, non-maxQ) and i am in the market for a new monitor, after looking at the native 144hz its hard to go back to my LG's 60hz!! This increased hz technology is new to me, so i am not sure how it would work:

The problem lies in the fact that the vyperIII does not have a displayport, and, as far as i can tell, hdmi supports 144hz@1080p at a theoretical maximum.
I searched and searched but i couldn't find the HDMI version on the vyperIII, and i am not sure if i should spend more for a monitor that i might not be able to use to its full potential.

-the second point is a recommendation, i wish to have the highest hertz possible, as aforementioned, i dont know if 144hz is supported, much less 240hz.
Higher hertz count isn't all i am looking for, i want to have high RGB percentage, as i use monitors to watch movies as well as gaming.

can anybody help?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello!

i recently bought a vyperIII, configured with a 2070 (non-super, non-maxQ) and i am in the market for a new monitor, after looking at the native 144hz its hard to go back to my LG's 60hz!! This increased hz technology is new to me, so i am not sure how it would work:

The problem lies in the fact that the vyperIII does not have a displayport, and, as far as i can tell, hdmi supports 144hz@1080p at a theoretical maximum.
I searched and searched but i couldn't find the HDMI version on the vyperIII, and i am not sure if i should spend more for a monitor that i might not be able to use to its full potential.

-the second point is a recommendation, i wish to have the highest hertz possible, as aforementioned, i dont know if 144hz is supported, much less 240hz.
Higher hertz count isn't all i am looking for, i want to have high RGB percentage, as i use monitors to watch movies as well as gaming.

can anybody help?
The HDMI on the Vyper will handle 1440p 144hz quite happily. It also has Thunderbolt 3 which you could use with an adapter to DP.

What’s your budget for the monitor?

The RTX2070 mobile is weaker than the desktop variant so you’d be looking at roughly RTX2060 desktop levels which would be around 80fps/hz at 1440p

gigino

The HDMI on the Vyper will handle 1440p 144hz quite happily. It also has Thunderbolt 3 which you could use with an adapter to DP.

What’s your budget for the monitor?

The RTX2070 mobile is weaker than the desktop variant so you’d be looking at roughly RTX2060 desktop levels which would be around 80fps/hz at 1440p

thanks,i didnt know that! i was aiming at 1080p since that helps with the framerates, and a highest possible fps, so far i've found a single monitor that does 240hz: the Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx and the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q, which reaches 185hz.

i didnt know about the adapter, is it reliable? would i be forced to use that to connect properly, or i can keep using the HDMI for 240hz@1080p?

the budget is 400-500eur.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
thanks,i didnt know that! i was aiming at 1080p since that helps with the framerates, and a highest possible fps, so far i've found a single monitor that does 240hz: the Predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx and the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q, which reaches 185hz.

i didnt know about the adapter, is it reliable? would i be forced to use that to connect properly, or i can keep using the HDMI for 240hz@1080p?

the budget is 400-500eur.
Why do you want 240Hz? Have you ever used it before? 1440p 80Hz would be far far better than 1080p 240Hz (which you very likely wouldn't be able to notice anyway).

gigino

Why do you want 240Hz? Have you ever used it before? 1440p 80Hz would be far far better than 1080p 240Hz (which you very likely wouldn't be able to notice anyway).
why not? i want faster hertz on my gaming laptop. I wish for the gameplay to be smooth and fluid, instead of clearer.

there is no way i'm going back to a 60-80hz after having tried 144hz, and thus i'm even more attracted by the prospect of 240hz!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
why not? i want faster hertz on my gaming laptop. I wish for the gameplay to be smooth and fluid, instead of clearer.

there is no way i'm going back to a 60-80hz after having tried 144hz, and thus i'm even more attracted by the prospect of 240hz!
240Hz is for competitive gaming. It's only professionals (like 1% of human beings) that can notice anything above 120fps. That's why they get paid about $1M per match. If you were looking for competitive gaming, you certainly wouldn't buy a laptop because they're not powerful enough!

240Hz is for competitive gaming, the idea being is that you reduce graphical settings to the lowest possible and reduce resolution to 720p to get the max framerate possible. These guys have superhuman reactions and visual acuity. That's why they're paid so much.

It's like saying I won my junior school 100 meters so I'm going to enter into the olympics, it's just rediculous. I promise you, you won't be able to notice anything above 120Hz.

1440p 80Hz is a far better experience, and will be just as smooth with variable refresh rate, that's why you spend extra for a gaming monitor.

All the idiots on youtube who try to mimick the professionals on fortnight and COD and claim that you HAVE to have 240Hz have no idea what they're talking about. It's only makes a difference for professionals.

It's your money though, but I'm letting you know the reality of what you're looking to do.

The RTX2070 mobile wouldn't manage over 144Hz at 1080p anyway unless you were to reduce settings significantly.

gigino

240Hz is for competitive gaming. It's only professionals (like 1% of human beings) that can notice anything above 120fps. That's why they get paid about $1M per match. If you were looking for competitive gaming, you certainly wouldn't buy a laptop because they're not powerful enough!

240Hz is for competitive gaming, the idea being is that you reduce graphical settings to the lowest possible and reduce resolution to 720p to get the max framerate possible. These guys have superhuman reactions and visual acuity. That's why they're paid so much.

It's like saying I won my junior school 100 meters so I'm going to enter into the olympics, it's just rediculous. I promise you, you won't be able to notice anything above 120Hz.

and who's to say i am not able to discern between the higher refresh rate? and besides, futureproofing exists, if i buy a monitor right now i expect to use it with my next 3 computers at the very least.
I can understand that this is all marketing and snake oil, but why not get the best, especially if the price is about a 100eur difference?

1440p 80Hz is a far better experience, and will be just as smooth with variable refresh rate, that's why you spend extra for a gaming monitor.

All the idiots on youtube who try to mimick the professionals on fortnight and COD and claim that you HAVE to have 240Hz have no idea what they're talking about. It's only makes a difference for professionals.

It's your money though, but I'm letting you know the reality of what you're looking to do.

The RTX2070 mobile wouldn't manage over 144Hz at 1080p anyway unless you were to reduce settings significantly.

it is possible that 1440p is a better experience, sadly i have not tried that resolution on a monitor just yet,and so far this confused me even more, as this added another choice, i could get 144hz@1080 or 240hz@1080 or even 144hz@1440. thanks i guess! :D

speakingof variable refresh rate, does the vyper III support Gsync? should i give priority to this technology when choosing a monitor?

>its your money thogh
yes and thank you for your kind advice, i will spend on what i like.

>The RTX2070 mobile wouldn't manage over 144Hz at 1080p anyway unless you were to reduce settings significantly.
that depends on the game,the optimization on it, there's too many variables to take this sentence for correct.

gigino

thank you for these videos! i've seen both and i dont get what you are trying to prove.
Both present an extremely limited sample pool size, and yet you want to encircle all of humanity in this definition of "not able to perceive increased hz".
hey, at least they didnt claim to be doing a scientific research, so this is anecdotal evidence at best.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
it is possible that 1440p is a better experience, sadly i have not tried that resolution on a monitor just yet,and so far this confused me even more, as this added another choice, i could get 144hz@1080 or 240hz@1080 or even 144hz@1440. thanks i guess!

So you’ve never even tried 1440p! You’re not looking for advice.
that depends on the game,the optimization on it, there's too many variables to take this sentence for correct.
When you ask for average FPS on a card there is only one requirement:
1: it’s at full settings on triple a titles.

As I said though, you’re not looking for feedback, you’re only interested in the YouTube status nonsense.

I’ll leave it up to you.

gigino

So you’ve never even tried 1440p! You’re not looking for advice.

When you ask for average FPS on a card there is only one requirement:
1: it’s at full settings on triple a titles.

As I said though, you’re not looking for feedback, you’re only interested in the YouTube status nonsense.

I’ll leave it up to you.

wow that's a lot of anger! did a 240hz screen steal your gf or something?

Gavras

Master Poster
wow that's a lot of anger! did a 240hz screen steal your gf or something?
The advice you have been given so far is good advice.

YOU need to do some of your own research on pixel density and refresh rates.

You admit you do not know something, then have a childish go at the person offering advice.

the impact of refresh rate is also dependant on games being played.

Also rule 1, never buy a New graphics card without ensuring you have fully investigated what monitor (range / types etc).

on refresh rates versus what would give better experience a non HD 240hz versus a full HD 1080p ?

now apply the same thinking between 240hz 1080p versus a 1440 144hz (or even 80hz).

Also point of note, is your system purchased from PCS?

gigino

The advice you have been given so far is good advice.

YOU need to do some of your own research on pixel density and refresh rates.

You admit you do not know something, then have a childish go at the person offering advice.

the impact of refresh rate is also dependant on games being played.

Also rule 1, never buy a New graphics card without ensuring you have fully investigated what monitor (range / types etc).

on refresh rates versus what would give better experience a non HD 240hz versus a full HD 1080p ?

now apply the same thinking between 240hz 1080p versus a 1440 144hz (or even 80hz).

Also point of note, is your system purchased from PCS?
what advice exactly? i dont see a single monitor recommended.

gigino

From the monitor guide:

"

1080p 240hz:
Generally £300+, sometimes cheaper on offer:
Acer KG251QD (24.5", TN, Freesync)
Acer KG271Bbmiipx (27", TN, Freesync)
Dell Alienware AW2518HF (24.5", TN, Freesync)

£400+ 240hz
Professional esports only
Zowie XL2546 (24.5", TN, no adaptive sync)
And the AOC AG251FG, ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q, Dell Alienware AW2518H, all (24.5", TN, gsync)"

i looked at the Acer KG251QD but its only 75hz (or so it says on amazon) but the price is nice.
the ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q is pricey, but its not too different from the acer predator XB253QGXbmiiprzx which costs less!

do you know of other monitors that you recommend?

gigino

All I’m asking is for you to post the specs from you account as that will give us much more information on your configuration.

sure, here's a copypaste from the configurator, because as i said, there's no other component to change from it. hope you are happy!

• Intel® Core™ i7 8-Core Processor 10875H
    • GeForce RTX 2070
    • 144Hz FHD Panel (1920 x 1080), 72% NTSC
    • Magnesium Alloy Chassis
    • High Capacity 62Wh Battery
    • Thunderbolt™ 3
    • RGB Backlit Keyboard
    • THX Spatial Audio
    • SuperSpeed USB 3.1
    • HDMI Output Connection
    • 1.0MP Webcam
    • Wireless Fitted as Standard

Never take what it says on Amazon as gospel without doing some checking first...I see 1440p monitors listed as 1080p on there. That Acer monitor is 240Hz (as confirmed from Acer themselves):

Acer Slovenia

May be Slovenia but is still the official Acer site and you will see the spec if you scroll down the page.
just why wouldnt a seller check what they are selling? i am at loss of words.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
sure, here's a copypaste from the configurator, because as i said, there's no other component to change from it. hope you are happy!

• Intel® Core™ i7 8-Core Processor 10875H
    • GeForce RTX 2070
    • 144Hz FHD Panel (1920 x 1080), 72% NTSC
    • Magnesium Alloy Chassis
    • High Capacity 62Wh Battery
    • Thunderbolt™ 3
    • RGB Backlit Keyboard
    • THX Spatial Audio
    • SuperSpeed USB 3.1
    • HDMI Output Connection
    • 1.0MP Webcam
    • Wireless Fitted as Standard

just why wouldnt a seller check what they are selling? i am at loss of words.
That’s not the specs from your order page, we need to know the full order details.