Monitor advice

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all

still looking for monitors while waiting to go in building which I expect it to be sometime in the new year (god forbid).

So I know it will be a 1440p 165Hz and looking at 27in currently.

Out of curiosity what do you all use? I am tired about deciding on a monitor and then go an Amazon and read a posting saying "omg the ghosting is horrible etc etc" when it seems to be ok on rtings.com.

will be playing flight sims, war thunder and escape from tarkov mostly. Its the later that I worry about the ghosting etc. as you can really say the others are fast paced....

for the others waiting on here, I am on only 9 working days for a 3070 and a 5600x (the only items not in stock when I placed the order).

thanks
c

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Hi all

still looking for monitors while waiting to go in building which I expect it to be sometime in the new year (god forbid).

Out of curiosity what do you all use? I am tired about deciding on a monitor and then go an Amazon and read a posting saying "omg the ghosting is horrible etc etc" when it seems to be ok on rtings.com.

will be playing flight sims, war thunder and escape from tarkov mostly. Its the later that I worry about the ghosting etc. as you can really say the others are fast paced....

for the others waiting on here, I am on only 9 working days for a 3070 and a 5600x (the only items not in stock when I placed the order).

thanks
c
If you’re playing a lot of flight sims, ultrawide is the way to go (assuming you’re not space restricted). The sense of immersion can only be beaten by VR.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

thanks
c
Amazon reviews are rarely by people who know what they’re talking about, it’s certainly not reviews you should take any notice of, always read proper tech reviewers notes as they know how to configure resolution, refresh rate and variable refresh rate. A lot of amazon reviews will leave a review on a defective product which isn’t valid in any way, but they don’t realise it’s defective. Or they just haven’t set it up properly.

But if you want advice on a monitor, please post in the monitor forum, it’s off topic for this thread.

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
Amazon reviews are rarely by people who know what they’re talking about, it’s certainly not reviews you should take any notice of, always read proper tech reviewers notes as they know how to configure resolution, refresh rate and variable refresh rate. A lot of amazon reviews will leave a review on a defective product which isn’t valid in any way, but they don’t realise it’s defective. Or they just haven’t set it up properly.

But if you want advice on a monitor, please post in the monitor forum, it’s off topic for this thread.
oh yeah i totally agree but them little monkey words get into you brain and mess you up!

i ll just try to by pass them.

is scan another legit place to get a monitor?

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
dont have an issue with amazon just its good to have options. also they get a lot of my money so might be good to spread the wealth. well my wealth at least.

only issue that i have with amazon in the uk is that it is turning a bit into alibaba/wish and for some products you need to search a fair bit until you find the a quality version.

i brought scan is as it has been mentioned in this forums in the past and well, if something is out of stock on amazon for pc components, there is ebay and then? chaos and despair!? :) do you good people trust scan

back on topic i think the super ultrawide monitor might stretch my 3070 so i am thinking to stick with the 27/32in option as from what I understand the 3070 should be able to perform nicely with them.

and as I do want to go VR for flight sims I might save the money for a headset later on. I understand that that might stretch the 3070 even more but that would be research to do at a later stage. also who knows, might be able to get a second hand 3090 by then!

Last edited:

Gavras

Master Poster
First off ignore Amazon for reviews, for tech kit nearly every 5 star review is suspect.

Display Ninja provides a decent resource.

write down a bunch of requirements and decide if critical or nice to have for each.

work out how much space you realistically have, how far you fit from the screen, also weight of screen and stand, how adjustable you need it.

Read up on pros cons for TN, VA and IPS panels.

decide if DP or HDMI 2.1 is more important.

budget, budget budget.

once you have a size and other requirements sorted, simply look at a shortlist that meet what you want.

Also work out where to buy it from and if you can see it in a shop first (try and get discount to online price).

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
cool

what do yall think about the 32" Samsung G7 240 Hz 1440p then? paired with a 3070 gpu and a 5600x cpu?

from what i have been reading, the 240Hz allow you to get to 240 fps which is insane. If the setup cant deliver that much fps in a game then the monitor will display whatever fps it is basically fed.
It is not like the monitor will tax the CPU / GPU more. It just reacts to whatever it receives from the desktop basically. Si?

My angle is that if I upgrade my GPU and CPU in a couple of years time, I do not want to be in the market for another monitor then as well. You can argue that the same monitor will be cheaper then, or there will be more options, but I hate the waste!

c

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
cool

what do yall think about the 32" Samsung G7 240 Hz 1440p then? paired with a 3070 gpu and a 5600x cpu?

from what i have been reading, the 240Hz allow you to get to 240 fps which is insane. If the setup cant deliver that much fps in a game then the monitor will display whatever fps it is basically fed.
It is not like the monitor will tax the CPU / GPU more. It just reacts to whatever it receives from the desktop basically. Si?

My angle is that if I upgrade my GPU and CPU in a couple of years time, I do not want to be in the market for another monitor then as well. You can argue that the same monitor will be cheaper then, or there will be more options, but I hate the waste!

c
Are you playing competitively? The idea of 240Hz is you reduce settings to lowest possible to achieve high frames, for games like Fortnite, COD, CSGo etc etc.

Most people can't appreciate anything over about 120Hz.

For the games you mention, doesn't appear to make any sense.

An Ultrawide would be a far better gaming experience.

carrot_monkey

Bronze Level Poster
Are you playing competitively? The idea of 240Hz is you reduce settings to lowest possible to achieve high frames, for games like Fortnite, COD, CSGo etc etc.

Most people can't appreciate anything over about 120Hz.

For the games you mention, doesn't appear to make any sense.

An Ultrawide would be a far better gaming experience.

I hear ya. I want to go big as well. My worry is that I will fork out some nice money for a 3440x1440 or more and it would be a struggle for my 3070 and 5600x. I think a 32" would be ok or anything at 2560x1440 for that matter, at least that is my angle right now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I hear ya. I want to go big as well. My worry is that I will fork out some nice money for a 3440x1440 or more and it would be a struggle for my 3070 and 5600x. I think a 32" would be ok or anything at 2560x1440 for that matter, at least that is my angle right now.
@AgentCooper and others have a 3070 with a 1440 Ultrawide, and are getting stellar performance.

We don’t recommend that off the cuff, it’s based on professional benchmarks of real world games.