Monitor / GPU / HDD multi query!

ianmer

Hi guys and gals!

I've got a two and a half year old system:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V PRO: PCI-E 3.0 READY,WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

I run this on a Toshiba 37" TV.

I thought I would have needed to put in a second GTX 670 in SLI by now but I'm playing Battlefield 4 on Ultra with ~80 FPS, which I'm happy with.

However, I'm considering a couple of upgrades/additions and would really appreciate some input and advice as I'm unsure on a few things that I've never tried before...

1. Dual monitor. I got this TV for a crazy low price (£268.79 in Feb 2009). I can get another now for ~£150. Do you think I can pull this off with my existing set up? I've got a second DVI port available on the back of my PC, would I just connect it and expect Windows to detect it? Would it be any different as these are TVs not monitors?
  2. GPU. Is it worth getting another GTX 670? Do you guys think this will give me much more? And if I do, do I just connect it and that's it, or is there more to it?
  3. HDD. I have managed to fill the 2TB plus the remaining space on the 1TB I ported from my last system and need a new HDD. Found another 2TB for a good price. How do I know if I have an available port to attach this to?

As always, thanks in advance for your time!

steaky360

I'd guess you could run two monitors (or TVs) without a problem although it won't be much help gaming (for example). You'd want three for gaming really!

Another 670 will extend the life of your current GPU but you might be able to get a 7xx or 9xx series card for a similar price which would be even better.

All you need to check is that tou have a spare sata port on your motherboard, you most likely will

Last edited:

ianmer

Thanks for the info!
Why is 3 better for gaming? Is it just for the effect of it sort of wrap around screens? Now that I think about it, the edges on these RV are quite fat, like 3cm so that might be quite immersion breaking if theres 5-6cm of border mightn't it?
I think you're right, I think I saw a 970 for similar price.
...how do I know if I have a spare SATA port? Just open it up and check or will the bios / system info tell me?