Monitor no signal despite being detetected by laptop

Pullaggro

Hey,

I just got my new monitor delivered:

However, it registers as no signal when I connect it to my laptop? The irritating thing is that my laptop connects to it, I can even hover my mouse up to the second monitor and even take a screenshot of both screens of my PC, however the new monitor just has a black screen. I have the following screenshots from various settings to show it is indeed connected, I just can't see anything on my screen! Could anyone offer any assistance?

1602351506385.png

1602351563016.png

1602351588585.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Lovely monitor, big fan of those...

What are you using for the connection, what cable?

When you say you can take a screenshot, does it show the second desktop correctly or black screen?

Pullaggro

I'm using a HDMI to mini DP cable which worked fine on my old second monitor which is literally like over ten years old so I don't think that could be the issue. I've ordered a HDMI to HDMI already just because i'll need it for my work laptop, but the cable shouldn't be the issue.

And yes exactly, I can literally screenshot and it will display my background and desktop even in the screenshot correctly, despite it showing a black screen physically on the monitor.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm using a HDMI to mini DP cable which worked fine on my old second monitor which is literally like over ten years old so I don't think that could be the issue. I've ordered a HDMI to HDMI already just because i'll need it for my work laptop, but the cable shouldn't be the issue.

And yes exactly, I can literally screenshot and it will display my background and desktop even in the screenshot correctly, despite it showing a black screen physically on the monitor.
Have you double checked what input it’s on on the monitor? It’s possible it’s not auto switching or set on DP by accident or something like that.

Worst comes to the worst it’s a dud panel I guess but laptops direct I believe are pretty good at swapping them out.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah, brain fart! Also, you need to specify the laptop to always use the nvidia GPU, it’s possible it’s on igpu (depending on what laptop you have) and needs the dgpu to output secondary displays. You can do this is nvidia control panel:

Pullaggro

Ah, brain fart! Also, you need to specify the laptop to always use the nvidia GPU, it’s possible it’s on igpu (depending on what laptop you have) and needs the dgpu to output secondary displays. You can do this is nvidia control panel:
Sadly that didn't work. What confuses me is how the laptop acknowledges the monitor, but won't 'detect' it in the display settings. If the HDMI to HDMI cable doesn't work tomorrow then maybe I should assume its a hardware fault on the monitor given all my drives and everything are up to date. Might get out my old laptop as well to double check.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sadly that didn't work. What confuses me is how the laptop acknowledges the monitor, but won't 'detect' it in the display settings. If the HDMI to HDMI cable doesn't work tomorrow then maybe I should assume its a hardware fault on the monitor given all my drives and everything are up to date. Might get out my old laptop as well to double check.
Did you check the input on the monitor in the OSD?

Pullaggro

Did you check the input on the monitor in the OSD?

Yeah I tried all of them even though i've plugged the HDMI cable into the HDMI 1 slot, but nope still just no signal. There aren't even any options on the display to do anything apart from click the input. Guessing other options only become available when it actually has a signal.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I tried all of them even though i've plugged the HDMI cable into the HDMI 1 slot, but nope still just no signal. There aren't even any options on the display to do anything apart from click the input. Guessing other options only become available when it actually has a signal.
Hmmmm.... does sound like a dud panel then. Have you got another computer or device you can try plugging into it with a straightforward direct cable?

Pullaggro

Hmmmm.... does sound like a dud panel then. Have you got another computer or device you can try plugging into it with a straightforward direct cable?
Unfortunately no, I only have a HDMI to mini DP cable or VGA to x cable. When the HDMI to HDMI comes in tomorrow i'll test it on my old laptop as well since it doesn't have a mini DP input. If it doesn't work on both my laptops then I think it's safe to assume that it's a monitor issue.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately no, I only have a HDMI to mini DP cable or VGA to x cable. When the HDMI to HDMI comes in tomorrow i'll test it on my old laptop as well since it doesn't have a mini DP input. If it doesn't work on both my laptops then I think it's safe to assume that it's a monitor issue.
The monitor will have come with cables?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah yes but it came with a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, and none of my devices have a DisplayPort input. I assume that's a thing for PCs as it's not on my laptop.
Ah, ok, normally they'd come with HDMI as well.

Just have to wait until tomorrow and test with the HDMI cable.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have you got anything else like a tv you can connect the laptop to, just to make sure a signal is definitely going out

Pullaggro

No problem, keep us posted, I'm intrigued :)
Hoorah! I knew i'd be wasting hours trying to fix this silly thing, when it was just a cable issue! It is slightly annoying though, I don't see why a HDMI to mini DP cable should cause issues. The HDMI to HDMI cable did the trick! The screen is so high quality I need to get used to it because i'm getting minor headaches from how vivid the imagery is aha

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hoorah! I knew i'd be wasting hours trying to fix this silly thing, when it was just a cable issue! It is slightly annoying though, I don't see why a HDMI to mini DP cable should cause issues. The HDMI to HDMI cable did the trick! The screen is so high quality I need to get used to it because i'm getting minor headaches from how vivid the imagery is aha
Awesome, at least that's an easy and cheap fix!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Good to hear it's sorted and without too much expense (y)