Monitor "no signal detected" after turning off/on using power button

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi

I have noticed that when I turn the monitor off using the monitor's power button and then turn it back on again, there is a "no signal detected" message displayed.

This has happened when I was running Macrium Reflect free Rescue Media to restore a backup image of my M.2 SSD. I turned the monitor off using the above method during the restore process and when I tried to turn the monitor back on the monitor power light did not change colour to blue indicating a signal.

I have checked the power lead from the mains plugged into the monitor itself. I have unplugged the DP cable from the graphics card end and at the monitor end and plugged it back in at both ends.

The full PCS spec is below.

CaseFRACTAL FOCUS G BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
down_right_arrow.gif

Change to: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 750D FULL TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 4950MB/R, 4250MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif

Change to: CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED LightingNONE
down_right_arrow.gif

Change to: 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
down_right_arrow.gif

Change to: BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
BrowserMicrosoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
MonitorNONE
down_right_arrow.gif

Change to: IIYAMA G-MASTER GB2760QSU-B1 27"
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Could this be a faulty DP cable?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hmmm. I think the first thing to try would be a new cable. Try another monitor too if you have one. That doesn't feel like a PC issue to me...

films&games

Enthusiast
Hmmm. I think the first thing to try would be a new cable. Try another monitor too if you have one. That doesn't feel like a PC issue to me...

Unfortunately, I don't have another monitor with the same connection type, e.g. DP as my graphics card.

Currently I only have this one DP cable, which came with the monitor as part of my PC order from PCS as I have included in my opening post above.

Last edited:

films&games

Enthusiast
This may not be a solution so apologies if it is completely wrong. When you turn the monitor back on, try moving the mouse and seeing if that does it...I have my PC plugged in via DP and my Xbox via HDMI and, when I have run my Xbox for a while, when I change the input back to DP (to do something on my PC) it doesn't register a signal from the PC (despite the PC not being in sleep mode) and reverts back to the HDMI....however, if I move the mouse before changing back to DP, it registers a signal fine.

As I said, may not be a solution and may just be a peculiarity to my monitor but worth a try

I have tried this already by moving the mouse and even pressing different keys on my keyboard when I turn the monitor back on and it does not do anything.

films&games

Enthusiast
I have also noticed sometimes that after I have used my PC for a while, it takes a few minutes to actually shutdown.

During the Windows 10 shutdown process the monitor displays the "no signal detected" message on-screen and then shutdown about a minute later.

Additionally, the monitor going into standby when ide automatically after a while when I am in Windows 10, but does not when outside the Windows 10 environment, e.g. running Macrium Reflect free Rescue Media from a USB-stick.

I have only been using the DP connection between this monitor - IIYAMA G-MASTER GB2760QSU-B1 27" and graphics card.

Should I order a new DP cable from PCS using the "Upgrade" option in my account or telephone them and explain the problem?

Thank you.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have also noticed sometimes that after I have used my PC for a while, it takes a few minutes to actually shutdown.

During the Windows 10 shutdown process the monitor displays the "no signal detected" message on-screen and then shutdown about a minute later.
That's not that unusual, the video does go off before Windows has fully shutdown.

Additionally, the monitor going into standby when ide automatically after a while when I am in Windows 10, but does not when outside the Windows 10 environment, e.g. running Macrium Reflect free Rescue Media from a USB-stick.
That's perfectly normal behaviour. Macrium doesn't have a 'turn off monitor after...' feature.

Should I order a new DP cable from PCS using the "Upgrade" option in my account or telephone them and explain the problem?
I wouks speak to PCS first. They might send you a new cable to try for free...!

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

I contacted PCS via email last night and I am currently waiting for a reply from them.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with their monitor showing a "no signal detected" message on-screen, after turning the monitor back on using the monitor's power button and is connected via a DisplayPort cable, when running a program such as Macrium Reflect Windows RE enviroment from a USB-stick?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi,

I contacted PCS via email last night and I am currently waiting for a reply from them.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with their monitor showing a "no signal detected" message on-screen, after turning the monitor back on using the monitor's power button and is connected via a DisplayPort cable, when running a program such as Macrium Reflect Windows RE enviroment from a USB-stick?
I'll test that for you on mine tomorrow....

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

What brand of DisplayPort cable should I get?

Some DisplayPort cable brands say VESA certified.

There are 2 different types: locking latches, requiring a button to pressed before releasing the cable and latch-free without a button.

Is this DisplayPort cable worth getting over another brand?

Thank you.

Last edited:

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have received a reply to my email from PCS and they say that their DisplayPort cables that they stock are unbranded, generic in a plastic bag.

The monitor that I have as stated in my opening post was part of my PC order from PCS.

Would it better to get one of the 2 metre DisplayPort cables from PCS or buy a branded one from Amazon?

What brand(s) of DisplayPort cables are reliable?

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I have received a reply to my email from PCS and they say that their DisplayPort cables that they stock are unbranded, generic in a plastic bag.

The monitor that I have as stated in my opening post was part of my PC order from PCS.

Would it better to get one of the 2 metre DisplayPort cables from PCS or buy a branded one from Amazon?

What brand(s) of DisplayPort cables are reliable?

Thank you.
Just try it with the included HDMI cable, that will tell you if it's a cable issue, I don't think it is though, cable has nothing to do with monitor not recovering from sleep. It's the signal either not being sent from the GPU on wake, or the monitor not receiving it.