Monitor not detected via USB-C (Ubuntu 20.04.01, Fusion Pro IV laptop)

AdrianBran

Hi. I have the Fusion Pro IV laptop (the version with the MX 250 GPU) running Ubuntu 20.04.01. I'm trying to connect a monitor for my Dual-Monitor setup via the USB-C port and it doesn't get detected. Any help would be much appreciated as I've been trying to fix this for days!

I tried all the combinations of wires: USB-C-to-HDMI, USB-C-to-VGA, using a docking station, etc... None seem to work. But connecting the Monitor to my smartphone via USB-C works fine. Hence I'm certain the problem is with the laptop's USB-C port (I believe it's not detecting Thunderbolt or DP Alt Mode).

In fact if I go to Settings -> Thunderbolt it says "No Thunderbolt support. Thunderbolt security level could not be determined". I also read articles where people talk about some Thunderbolt options showing up in their BIOS. I don't have any of those options in my BIOS, so could it be a Firmware issue? If yes, where/how do I update the BIOS firmware?

A few more notes:
- The USB-C port works when I plug a docking station with a USB-stick in it (detects the usb-stick). It's only video output (DP Alt Mode) that isn't detected.
- The USB-C port should support Thunderbolt as far as I know, as running "lsusb -t" shows "Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/6p, 10000M" (speed of 10000M corresponding to Thunderbolt)

I appreciate any help or advice you can give! Thank you.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Unless it specifically says the port supports DP or Thunderbolt it will just be a data/power port. The Fusion Pro IV detailed specification doesn't mention DP or Thunderbolt support.