Monitor recommendations for gaming laptop

CraigMerrick53

G'morning all,

I have a laptop with the below specs and I'm looking at getting a monitor that will act as the main display when gaming (while ideally the laptop screen is open running a web browser, spotify etc...)

I'm not really that 'tech savvy' when it comes to displays so any advice is appreciated.

I'm looking for recommendations for a monitor that will give me the best visuals without taxing performance.

My laptop has 1 x HDMI, 1 x Mini Display Port

Thank you all for you time :)

Chassis & Display Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)

**Memory (RAM)**16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)

Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1

1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm going to guess that a 1080p 144Hz display will be what you want with the mobile 2070S. What frame rates are you getting on the onboard display?

CraigMerrick53

I'm going to guess that a 1080p 144Hz display will be what you want with the mobile 2070S. What frame rates are you getting on the onboard display?
Hi,

It depends on the game really... I mostly play RTS games at the moment but there are some AAA games I'd like to be able to play.

I can only really give an example of AC Odyssey. I can run this on max settings at 60+ fps

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi,

It depends on the game really... I mostly play RTS games at the moment but there are some AAA games I'd like to be able to play.

I can only really give an example of AC Odyssey. I can run this on max settings at 60+ fps
Sounds like 1080p 144Hz is the right spot to aim for, then. I'd recommend the AOC 24G2U, for around £150.

CraigMerrick53

Sounds like 1080p 144Hz is the right spot to aim for, then. I'd recommend the AOC 24G2U, for around £150.
Thank you for the recommendation!

Can I ask, is 24" the largest I can get? I've seen quite a few posts around the web saying you cannot get 32" as I'll start to see pixels ... but how about a 27" ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you for the recommendation!

Can I ask, is 24" the largest I can get? I've seen quite a few posts around the web saying you cannot get 32" as I'll start to see pixels ... but how about a 27" ?
You can get 27" 1080p monitors but generally 24" is considered optimal before you start noticing pixels.

If you have the opportunity, give your local curry's a call and see if they have any 27" 1080ps in stock and then you can see for yourself if you'd notice the pixel ratio.

CraigMerrick53

You can get 27" 1080p monitors but generally 24" is considered optimal before you start noticing pixels.

If you have the opportunity, give your local curry's a call and see if they have any 27" 1080ps in stock and then you can see for yourself if you'd notice the pixel ratio.
That's a good idea... I'll do just that