Monitor Settings Help

Wizz219

I've had my PCS PC for about a week now and I'm absolutely loving it, its paired with a 32" Samsung G7 Odyssey but I'll be honest I'm a little confused whether some of the monitor settings overlap and whether some are needed at all.

I understand how G-SYNC works but do I also need to have 'Adaptive Sync' turned on within the monitor settings as well? With either of these two modes being used do I then also need 'V-Sync' turned on within games or is that doing the same job?

I was also wondering whether HDR is worth turning on? I've had a play around with it but not noticed a difference within games. Maybe someone who uses this monitor can advise or suggest suitable settings for it.

Apologies if the questions seem stupid but I've always found monitor settings a minefield:unsure:

Aza

Rising Star
What GPU you do you?
Adaptive sync is Nvidias sync system for AMD cards, so if you have a nvidia GPU and the monitor is G-Sync, you dont need adaptive sync on.
HDR is worth turning on, (which i think is Nvidia anyway...?) as it does improve framerate quite considerably.

From what i remember, if G Sync is on, v sync is also redundent...but worth checking its been a while since I read about that.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What GPU you do you?
Adaptive sync is Nvidias sync system for AMD cards, so if you have a nvidia GPU and the monitor is G-Sync, you dont need adaptive sync on.
HDR is worth turning on, (which i think is Nvidia anyway...?) as it does improve framerate quite considerably.

From what i remember, if G Sync is on, v sync is also redundent...but worth checking its been a while since I read about that.
This isn't quite correct

The monitor is a gsync compatible monitor, which means it's AMD freesync.

Adaptive sync is the broad term for both AMD and nvidias trchnologies.

You need adaptive sync on ok the monitor to enable gsync or freesync in the computer otherwise those settings won't appear.

VSync caps the frame rate the GPU puts out to that of the highest of your monitor. This reduces screen tearing if you don't have adaptive sync options. You don't want this enabled if you have adaptive sync on.

HDR is well worth it although that monitor I think is HDR 400 so won't make a profound difference. This also needs to be set in Windows and game settings.

Aza

Rising Star
Oh ok, ive misunderstood how it works/what the situation is then.
I thought Adaptive sync was GSync monitors with AMD cards, so they would still take advantage of freesync/AMD... i'm gonna have to read it again lol Like a third type to give cross-compatibility....sorry!

Wizz219

So just an update on this, I’ve been using the “Use HDR” setting in windows 11 fine until today. When I now turn this on the screen resolution gets distorted and as you can see from the pictures below the windows bar is only partly shown. Anybody have any ideas why this is occurring?

Attachments

• DB9F3848-0ADC-4195-8156-15653B1C96E0.jpeg
    DB9F3848-0ADC-4195-8156-15653B1C96E0.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 1A02CED7-DC1D-4EE6-8FF5-1D6D9540BF11.jpeg
    1A02CED7-DC1D-4EE6-8FF5-1D6D9540BF11.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 74

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So just an update on this, I’ve been using the “Use HDR” setting in windows 11 fine until today. When I now turn this on the screen resolution gets distorted and as you can see from the pictures below the windows bar is only partly shown. Anybody have any ideas why this is occurring?
What resolution and scaling do you have it set at?

What GPU driver are you on?

Wizz219

What resolution and scaling do you have it set at?

What GPU driver are you on?
Pictures have now been edited with personal information removed. The resolution is 2560x1440 and scaling is 100%. GPU driver is 512.95 which is the latest when I check for updates.

Strangely after resetting the pc a couple of times I got a single beep followed by three beeps from the motherboard on start up with the issue then solved. I usually have the pc and work laptop connected to the monitor at the same time through two display ports, the second of these ports was showing no picture whilst this issue was going on, even with either device connected. This has now also been fixed it seems so I’ve got no idea what was going on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Pictures have now been edited with personal information removed. The resolution is 2560x1440 and scaling is 100%. GPU driver is 512.95 which is the latest when I check for updates.

Strangely after resetting the pc a couple of times I got a single beep followed by three beeps from the motherboard on start up with the issue then solved. I usually have the pc and work laptop connected to the monitor at the same time through two display ports, the second of these ports was showing no picture whilst this issue was going on, even with either device connected. This has now also been fixed it seems so I’ve got no idea what was going on.
I would check if Samsung have a firmware update for that monitor, the early firmwares on the G series screens are buggy to say the least

Wizz219

I would check if Samsung have a firmware update for that monitor, the early firmwares on the G series screens are buggy to say the least
Thanks Spyder I've updated the firmware so we'll see if it happens again. One thing I have noticed is that the motherboard only does the one beep followed by three if the monitor is off when I turn the PC on, if the monitor is already on then it starts up as normal. Could this be because it isn't reading a connected display or something along those lines? Doubt its an issue and I'm not worried but just something I'm curious to learn the meaning behind.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks Spyder I've updated the firmware so we'll see if it happens again. One thing I have noticed is that the motherboard only does the one beep followed by three if the monitor is off when I turn the PC on, if the monitor is already on then it starts up as normal. Could this be because it isn't reading a connected display or something along those lines? Doubt its an issue and I'm not worried but just something I'm curious to learn the meaning behind.
That's a false positive by some Asus boards, it's expected behaviour, it's because some new monitors constantly send a ping to the GPU even when in sleep mode. Most monitors don't, but some Asus boards incorrectly expect that return code and issue a GPU error if it's not received.

Workaround is to power on the monitor before powering on the PC.