Monitor & speakers randomly turn off

KevetS

Just under a year ago I purchased a desktop (spec below) for my son.

Over the last month or so the has developed a fault: At random times while using the PC, the monitor and connected speakers will shut off (PC remains active). Moving the mouse around will eventually turn speakers and monitor on again.
Sometimes these shutdowns can occur every 15-20 seconds, other times it will take longer.
In an effort to remedy this, my son and I attempted to reset Windows. Unfortunately, this didn't fix it! In fact, the fault prevented us from completing the reset.
Around about the same time as the above fault started, on occasions the PC would emit 3 short beeps instead of the usual 1 short beep on boot up.

I have emailed PCS support about the problem, but thought I'd post here for any suggestions/solutions.

Case
CORSAIR SPEC-DELTA RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six Core CPU (3.4GHz-3.9GHz/19MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE: DDR4, USB 3.1 - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
4GB AMD RADEON™ RX 570 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage Drive
480GB ADATA SU630 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 450MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

KevetS

Thanks UBUYSA,
Am running the test now. I assume using default settings is the best way to go!
Additional info:
The monitor & speakers remain on while in BIOS, Windows downloads to reset and while running the memory test.

KevetS

Ok, test finished.
I have to say... most of the results left me baffled. However, It did show 0 errors. I have a feeling that it's not actually the result I want! :(

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok, test finished.
I have to say... most of the results left me baffled. However, It did show 0 errors. I have a feeling that it's not actually the result I want! :(
Well that would have been a nice easy fix. ;)

0 errors isn't proof that your RAM is good, but it's the next best thing.

You now need to determine whether your issue is with the Windows software or hardware and the only way to do that is via a clean reinstall of Windows. The Windows Reset feature you've been trying to use is not the way to do that, you need to be reinstalling from bootable media. Note that this will delete everything on your SSD, so backup any user data first.

To make bootable media you need to download the media creation tool, but don't use the faulty PC to do this, find another PC/laptop to do this on. On the other PC/laptop, plug in an 8GB min size USB stick (it will be erased) and run the downloaded media creation tool. Tell the tool to create install media for use on another computer, point it at your USB stick and wait while it downloads a new copy of Windows 10 and makes the USB stick bootable.

On your faulty PC, plug the USB stick in and boot from it, you may have to enter the BIOS setup first to make the USB stick the first item in the boot order list.

Once the Windows installer boots, choose a 'custom install' and delete all partitions on your SSD so that al the space shows as unallocated. Then click the Next button. The installer will do the rest. Once Windows is installed and you've done the initial setup (language, region, userid etc.) run Windows Update repeatedly until no more updates are found. If you have to reboot then rerun Windows Update again until no more updates are found.

If it fails again in that pristine state then it's almost certainly a hardware problem and you'll need to talk to PCS.

KevetS

Many thanks UBUYSA.
I'm in the process of downloading Windows Installation Media. I'll report back if this remedies the problem... or, if it doesn't.
Thanks again.

KevetS

Attempted to install Windows via Installation Media... No joy!
Everything was installing fine, until I got to the Microsoft Login: While entering my son's Gmail address the monitors and speakers shut off. Waggling the mouse got them back, but for only a couple of seconds (not long enough for this slow typist to enter the Gmail address).
Thanks for your help UBUYSA. I guess I'll now have to await PCS reply to my email :(

For the record...
Over the years, I've purchased 2 desktops and 1 laptop from PCS. I've had issues with all three:

1st purchase - Desktop - USB ports weren't connected (had to open up and connect them myself).

2nd purchase -Laptop - Screen had horizontal line about half way across. Top became purple, bottom green (maybe the other way round). Had to return to PCS.

3rd purchase - Monitor and speakers randomly shutting down. Looks like this one will have to be returned.

Something seems to be seriously amiss with PCS quality control!

KevetS

Just want to post an update for anyone else that may have similar PC problems as above in the future.
Apparently, the random speakers and monitor shutting off was due to a faulty motherboard, which PCS have replaced.
Now awaiting delivery. Fingers crossed that all is now ok.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just want to post an update for anyone else that may have similar PC problems as above in the future.
Apparently, the random speakers and monitor shutting off was due to a faulty motherboard, which PCS have replaced.
Now awaiting delivery. Fingers crossed that all is now ok.
Many thanks for letting us know the solution. :)