Monitor Suggestions

Vaio

Enthusiast
Hi, I'm after a monitor, preferably around the 27inch mark. I'm going to purchase a PC with the GTX 1650 Super graphics card so that'll give you some indication of what the PC will be running. My budget is £200

Although I said 27" the best price one I can find is HP 24x Gaming Monitor for £180 it's 144hz and Full HD.
I don't know whether to get 60hz or 144hz? TIA

Also do I go for a 1080p monitor or 1440p?

So after much deliberation, I have upped my budget slightly. I have found this MSI Optix G27C4 Full HD 144hz please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, I'm after a monitor, preferably around the 27inch mark. I'm going to purchase a PC with the GTX 1650 Super graphics card so that'll give you some indication of what the PC will be running. My budget is £200

Although I said 27" the best price one I can find is HP 24x Gaming Monitor for £180 it's 144hz and Full HD.
I don't know whether to get 60hz or 144hz? TIA

Also do I go for a 1080p monitor or 1440p?

So after much deliberation, I have upped my budget slightly. I have found this MSI Optix G27C4 Full HD 144hz please let me know your thoughts.
It's not suggested to get over 24" for 1080p as quality will drastically reduce as the monitor is too large for the pixel density and you can start to make out the individual pixels.

For the 1650 Super, you'd need a 144Hz monitor, it's overpowered for 60Hz.

Acer Nitro's are well regarded for being very high specs at budget prices, this fits all the makes of a competitive panel at a very good price:

Available here on pre order:

It's got HDR10 support which is just unheard of at this budget and would take it leaps and bounds over other monitors at the same budget.

Vaio

Enthusiast
It's not suggested to get over 24" for 1080p as quality will drastically reduce as the monitor is too large for the pixel density and you can start to make out the individual pixels.

For the 1650 Super, you'd need a 144Hz monitor, it's overpowered for 60Hz.

Acer Nitro's are well regarded for being very high specs at budget prices, this fits all the makes of a competitive panel at a very good price:

Available here on pre order:

It's got HDR10 support which is just unheard of at this budget and would take it leaps and bounds over other monitors at the same budget.

That's great thanks for your reply..
I've been looking too and came across this one that I had previously bookmarked. I think it's the same spec, but slightly more ££.

What's the difference between LED and IPS LCD?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's great thanks for your reply..
I've been looking too and came across this one that I had previously bookmarked. I think it's the same spec, but slightly more ££.

What's the difference between LED and IPS LCD?

IPS has better colour accuracy, but that would be cancelled out by the HDR10 support on the Acer. Personally I would save the money and go with the Acer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In case you aren't familiar, HDR10 is a very premium feature, and not normally found on monitors under about £400

This is aimed mainly at TV's but gives a good explanation of what HDR is:

This is with regards to gaming:

And how to enable HDR in windows:

It makes a ginormous difference to the quality of the image, really really draws you in. I'd take that over IPS anyday, and these days, TN panels (like on the Acer) are such high quality that the downsides are greatly reduced. The bonus of a TN panel is you get far greater response times than IPS especially cheaper IPS panels like on that MSI.

Really they're kind of neck and neck, but I'd say the HDR10 is the winning factor between them.

Vaio

Enthusiast
In case you aren't familiar, HDR10 is a very premium feature, and not normally found on monitors under about £400

This is aimed mainly at TV's but gives a good explanation of what HDR is:

This is with regards to gaming:

And how to enable HDR in windows:

It makes a ginormous difference to the quality of the image, really really draws you in. I'd take that over IPS anyday, and these days, TN panels (like on the Acer) are such high quality that the downsides are greatly reduced. The bonus of a TN panel is you get far greater response times than IPS especially cheaper IPS panels like on that MSI.

Really they're kind of neck and neck, but I'd say the HDR10 is the winning factor between them.

I noticed that the 1650 Super only has a HDMI slot, and these monitor have both HDMI and DP, so if I were to use HDMI would that still transfer 144hz? or do I need a GPU with a display port?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I noticed that the 1650 Super only has a HDMI slot, and these monitor have both HDMI and DP, so if I were to use HDMI would that still transfer 144hz? or do I need a GPU with a display port?
1650 has DP ports also. These days all GPU’s come with one HDMI and the rest DP. It’s always best to use DP.

Vaio

Enthusiast
1650 has DP ports also. These days all GPU’s come with one HDMI and the rest DP. It’s always best to use DP.

Ah okay! my bad thanks. It's just that when I saw the spec sheet again it mentioned HDMI and not DP, whereas as the others all mentioned DP.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ah okay! my bad thanks. It's just that when I saw the spec sheet again it mentioned HDMI and not DP, whereas as the others all mentioned DP.
Definitely has at least one DP port, they vary by model but DP is the norm nowadays. Most of the higher GPU’s have only one hdmi and 3 DP ports.

Vaio

Enthusiast
Is this Asus matte screen? Ideally I'm looking for a screen that isn't fully matte because I just can't seem to get on with them. I've realised this MSI screen is matte as well.

Should I be looking at LED monitors for a non-matte coated screen?

And I guess my other question is, if I were to get a 1440p monitor at 27 inch, would the 1650 super card run at that or would it remain in 1080p?

I'm floating towards
SAMSUNG C27JG52, Curved Gaming PC screen, 27 "VA panel, WQHD resolution (2560 x 1440), 144 Hz, 4ms, Black
It is an extra £100 but I guess I won't need to buy another monitor for a long time?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is this Asus matte screen? Ideally I'm looking for a screen that isn't fully matte because I just can't seem to get on with them. I've realised this MSI screen is matte as well.

Should I be looking at LED monitors for a non-matte coated screen?

And I guess my other question is, if I were to get a 1440p monitor at 27 inch, would the 1650 super card run at that or would it remain in 1080p?

I'm floating towards
SAMSUNG C27JG52, Curved Gaming PC screen, 27 "VA panel, WQHD resolution (2560 x 1440), 144 Hz, 4ms, Black
It is an extra £100 but I guess I won't need to buy another monitor for a long time?
If you’re getting 1440p you’d need a more powerful GPU. 2060 Super but preferably a 2070 Super.

Vaio

Enthusiast
If you’re getting 1440p you’d need a more powerful GPU. 2060 Super but preferably a 2070 Super.

Would the RTX 2060 not cut it?

And silly question, but if use a lower graphics card, what would happen? would it just bottleneck and not display 1440p?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would the RTX 2060 not cut it?

And silly question, but if use a lower graphics card, what would happen? would it just bottleneck and not display 1440p?
2060 will do 1440p but at low frame rates, you ideally need the 2070 Super for 1440p 144hz

Lower card you’d have to reduce setting massively to even achieve 60fps, otherwise it would just stutter and run really slow.

Vaio

Enthusiast
Hmmm bit of a dilemma then as I could stretch to a 2060 for £130 odd but then it's £200 extra for the super version.

Could I not play games in 1440p but run the refresh rate slightly lower? I know that may seem a little counter intuitive but is that a possibility?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hmmm bit of a dilemma then as I could stretch to a 2060 for £130 odd but then it's £200 extra for the super version.

Could I not play games in 1440p but run the refresh rate slightly lower? I know that may seem a little counter intuitive but is that a possibility?
Refresh rate = FPS. Doesn’t make any difference to what the GPU is outputting, it’s just the max FPS the screen can show is 144.

You don’t need a 1440p screen, just get a 1080p screen.

Or just have 2060 Super (not normal) and 1440p screen.

Vaio

Enthusiast
Refresh rate = FPS. Doesn’t make any difference to what the GPU is outputting, it’s just the max FPS the screen can show is 144.

You don’t need a 1440p screen, just get a 1080p screen.

Or just have 2060 Super (not normal) and 1440p screen.

Sorry I didn't mean refresh rate, I meant the 144hz, I'm assuming with the 2060 there may be an occurrence of screen tearing with a 1440p?
But if you limit the hz lower would the eliminate that?

Sorry for stupid questions lol I'm just trying to get my head around it. The other thing is, I would ideally want a 27" as I work at my PC as well and I know many of you have said not to get a 27 inch at 1080p as the pixel density isn't great.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry I didn't mean refresh rate, I meant the 144hz, I'm assuming with the 2060 there may be an occurrence of screen tearing with a 1440p?
But if you limit the hz lower would the eliminate that?
Refresh rate is the Hz, same thing. There's no screen tearing these days as anyone who knows their stuff would always recommend adaptive sync on the screen which automatically synchronises the refresh rate with that of the card as it's runninig.

Basically, the GPU and screen pair together, it's really important. There's no point getting anything lower than a 1660 Super for 1440p as it just won't be able to drive it without reducing settings. If you're reducing settings then the GPU isn't powerful enough. It's not something you do on gaming PC's, if you have to, then the build isn't suitable.

Yes, for 1080p you don't want more than 24", for 1440p it's around the 27" mark and 4k is 32" upwards