Monitor upgrade, Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

robin h 25

Having recently done a new PC build on here for a 4K gaming PC, Pairing it with my 3 year old 4K 60hz monitor, I've always looked at and still looking at upgrading to a 4K 120/144hz monitor to use for my new PC build but to also be compatible with the upcoming next gen consoles that claim 4K at 120hz and will have been released by this time next year,

But i seem to have / be in a unique situation, in that i can only afford to buy and only have the space for one monitor, which will be replaced where my current 4K 60hz one sits, but ideally i'm needing a monitor that is/ has to be...

4K,
120/144hz,
27"
Freesync/ G-sync Compatible/ Adaptive-Sync,
Two Hdmi 2.1 ports, One or Two Displayports 1.4
TN or IPS panel, not too bothered on either,
Around £700'ish,

The only monitor that come's close and the one I've always had my eye on, is the Acer Nitro XV273K, but it only has Two Hdmi 2.0 ports, which is an issue, The next gen consoles will have Hdmi 2.1 ( for which i will be getting both Xbox series X and PS5 ), but its unknown if they will also have Displayport, ports, until more info is released on them,

Me being stuck between a rock and a hard place come from finding out that the Acer Nitro XV273K is currently on offer right now from £899 down to £649 but i don't know how long for,
At £899 its just out of my budget, At £649 its within budget, i don't really want to miss the chance, but at the same time i don't want to spend £649, to not be compatible with next gen consoles to get 4K 120hz out of them, as from now until early 2021, i can only afford to get one monitor and i need it to do all, PC gaming at 4K 120/144hz, Console gaming at 4K 120hz,

"Trying to kill two birds with one stone", with a monitor upgrade- PC and Console gaming at 4K 120hz+,

I can wait to see if any more or new 4K 120/144hz monitors hit the market over the next year, to what i'm wanting with a monitor, to what I've stated above, but i have no idea what my financial situation is going to be like or what my budget will be at that point or the price of the monitor at that time,
again a rock and a hard place. 🤔 🕰😕🤕.

Need to go and take some painkillers now, giving myself a headache thinking about this.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
i'm needing a monitor that is/ has to be...
4K,
120/144hz,
27"
Freesync/ G-sync Compatible/ Adaptive-Sync,
Two Hdmi 2.1 ports, One or Two Displayports 1.4
TN or IPS panel, not too bothered on either,
Around £700'ish,

No such thing afaik Current gen monitors won't have HDMI 2.1

And for all we know, next gen consoles may have DP outputs anyway.

If you can get the XV273K for £650, there's a strong argument for just going for it.

Or sticking with your current 4k monitor. Not like 4k gaming even at 60hz is shabby!

robin h 25

I decided to leave the the monitor and to wait and see, though i'm kicking myself for not getting it, while it was on offer,
but if i did get it, and a new monitor was to be released before this coming November with what i'd like to have, i would be kicking myself for not waiting,
So no matter the outcome, I'm kicking myself either way🥾🥾🥾:LOL:,

Just going the play the waiting game now📆🕰 and try keep my eyes👀 open.

robin h 25

I may be glad that i waited, CES 2020 has showcased a new monitor that may be "The One" i'm looking for?,

The LG 27GN950-B 27 inch UltraGear™ 4K Nano IPS 1ms G-SYNC® Compatible Gaming Monitor🤩👍,
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor

The only info i need on this monitor is if it has HDMI 2.1, Price and release date
I've signed up on LG site to get more info on it via email, when more info is revealed.

Hopefully it's the one🙏.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Finger crossed. I'm still waiting for the LG 27GL850-B 27" which was launched July 2019 ish to actually be available in the UK. Here's hoping LG sort their lives our, as concerns selling the nicest things in the UK anyway

robin h 25

Finger crossed. I'm still waiting for the LG 27GL850-B 27" which was launched July 2019 ish to actually be available in the UK. Here's hoping LG sort their lives our, as concerns selling the nicest things in the UK anyway
That one seems to be very much the same / similar spec as the one i'm waiting for more info on, just as a 1440p model than 4K,

As for the LG 27GN950-B 27, it could be released towards to end of the year, early 2021, so i have quite a wait,

And for all we know, next gen consoles may have DP outputs anyway.
That not looking to good at the moment, with the leaked Prototype Xbox Series X ports shown ( could be a fake or not the final product ) only 1 HDMI port,
xsx-ports-featured-img-min.png

On a side note..
The 27" Acer Nitro XV273K UHD Gaming Monitor now has a rival in the new 27" ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQ Gaming Monitor which a little cheaper but unfortunately still uses HDMI 2.0, However i do see it as the baby version of the £2000
27" ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 4K HDR Gaming Monitor.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
That not looking to good at the moment, with the leaked Prototype Xbox Series X ports shown
I did consider it unlikely :) More just a general pont about being unable to say for sure what they will have or not have. As you say, even those leaks may be false.

27" ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQ
Is that released and widely available, or is it just another monitor announced by X company that will take 2 years to appear :(

robin h 25

Is that released and widely available, or is it just another monitor announced by X company that will take 2 years to appear :(
I'm not sure if i can say this or not, but i recently noticed it on Scan's website as Pre-order, New items as Pre-orders don't stay at Pre-orders for very long from what I've seen, so I'm guessing it will be available soon. I didn't know of this monitor until i noticed the Pre-order, My eye is still on that LG.

robin h 25

I just noticed that the LG monitor that i'm after / waiting for ( https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor ) has appeared on Currys PC World website,
2020-04-25_LI LG Monitor.jpg

But there is few issues I've seen,

Highlighted in yellow in the top left, the padlock icon, when i go to click onto the monitor to get a full look at it, in it's own tab for more details, the padlock icon is open and state's that it's not secure, as to why i post this screen shot than linking the page of the monitor from Currys PC World,

I also noticed the model is LG 27GN950 but on LG's website there's only the LG 27GN950-B model,
and also that it has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports under it spec's on Currys PC World site, and i'm really, really hoping this will have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports,
My first thought is that, it's most likely just a Placeholder as LG have not released the full spec's / price or release date yet,

And the price of £749.00, I had it pegged to possibly be around £850 - £1,100 price range, if it is to be £749.00 i'll be more than happy to pay that.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I also noticed the model is LG 27GN950 but on LG's website there's only the LG 27GN950-B model,
and also that it has 2 HDMI 2.0 ports under it spec's on Currys PC World site, and i'm really, really hoping this will have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports,
My first thought is that, it's most likely just a Placeholder as LG have not released the full spec's / price or release date yet,

And the price of £749.00, I had it pegged to possibly be around £850 - £1,100 price range, if it is to be £749.00 i'll be more than happy to pay that.
There are usually regional variations in product codes, so the -B will be the european version, possible UK only.

I wouldn't take any notice on Curry's specifications listing, they're notoriously awful and often list things incorrectly, when it comes to technology they're not very clued up ironically.

That price though is a lot better than I expected, I've been awaiting this monitor too (as I think an awful lot of people have).

I would have thought you're correct, if the page isn't secure yet, it's probably gone live by accident before it was ready, they'll probably secure it and finish off proper specs in due course.

Good find though!

robin h 25

I've noticed that there's now a lot of conflicting info on this LG 27GN950-B monitor on Reddit forums and tech news source on when it will be released, how much it's going to cost and if it has HDMI 2.1 or not, through people claiming that they've got the info emails from LG,

However, I've come across another new 4K 144hz Monitor, that yesterday has confirmed it will have HDMI 2.1 and will release in Q4, it called the EVE SPECTRUM, though I've never heard of this company or make before, i will link the monitor page below and with it spec's...
https://euro.evedevices.com/pages/spectrum/
https://euro.evedevices.com/pages/full-specs

I'm still going to wait and see what the spec's of the LG is before i choose which one to go for, as I'm a bit cautious having never heard of this new monitor make or brand before and if it's / they are any good.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've noticed that there's now a lot of conflicting info on this LG 27GN950-B monitor on Reddit forums and tech news source on when it will be released, how much it's going to cost and if it has HDMI 2.1 or not, through people claiming that they've got the info emails from LG,

However, I've come across another new 4K 144hz Monitor, that yesterday has confirmed it will have HDMI 2.1 and will release in Q4, it called the EVE SPECTRUM, though I've never heard of this company or make before, i will link the monitor page below and with it spec's...

I'm still going to wait and see what the spec's of the LG is before i choose which one to go for, as I'm a bit cautious having never heard of this new monitor make or brand before and if it's / they are any good.
OMG, that's a nice monitor with a crazy amount of ports on it! That's really really nice.... reckon price will be pretty steep though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

It's crowd sourced, so think the company is brand new, but it's got Tom's Hardware backing and they're very legit:

robin h 25

Some truly disappointing news on the LG 27GN950,
The full spec's and price of the monitor has now been revealed, and it has HDMI 2.0, which is not what I'm wanting, the rest of the spec's are great but it just needed to have HDMI 2.1.
All of my hopes in getting this monitor has now been lost,

The EVE SPECTRUM is now the only choice i have for what I'm wanting but i don't want to buy direct from them as I've heard some bad things about the company behind EVE,

I will only likely buy it, if the monitor shows up on major retailers ( Amazon, Currys PC World and so on ).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some truly disappointing news on the LG 27GN950,
The full spec's and price of the monitor has now been revealed, and it has HDMI 2.0, which is not what I'm wanting, the rest of the spec's are great but it just needed to have HDMI 2.1.
All of my hopes in getting this monitor has now been lost,

The EVE SPECTRUM is now the only choice i have for what I'm wanting but i don't want to buy direct from them as I've heard some bad things about the company behind EVE,

I will only likely buy it, if the monitor shows up on major retailers ( Amazon, Currys PC World and so on ).
Sorry if you've already answered this, but are you looking for HDMI 2.1 specifically for upcoming console connectivity?

robin h 25

Sorry if you've already answered this, but are you looking for HDMI 2.1 specifically for upcoming console connectivity?
Yeah...
but I'm trying to "kill two birds with one stone" for my monitor upgrade,
HDMI 2.1 for the next gen consoles
DP 1.4 for my PC.