Monitors, not my forte

samwil

Enthusiast
So I'm in the market for a new monitor.

144hz at 1440p on a 2070 Super.
I typically play a range of games, I'm not particularly competitive and I appreciate image quality, but I'd like to find something which is the best of both worlds if possible for no more than £500.00.

In terms of panel types, I read up about a week ago, but i couldn't decide which was appropriate, and since then, I've forgotten what exactly it was that I read about panel types.

So some advice firstly on VA, IPS or TN panels would be appreciated.

About the only thing I remember Is that TN panels are typically faster and chosen by competitive gamers? Or is that IPS I cant remember.

One monitor I've seen is a Gigabyte Aorus Monitor, I'm willing to try out a Curved monitor if they're decent enough.

Oh yeah and then LED or OLED?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you can wait for / get your hands on the new LG 27GL850-B

Check out this video, which is also a very good primer on monitors generally:

There are cheaper IPS models e.g. Acer Nitro VG271UP (£350ish)

And any number of TN panels.

If it's 27", 1440p, 144hz, and curved, it's almost certainly a VA panel. And whoever's branding is on the monitor it's probably a Samsung VA panel inside afaik. I think you can find these sub £400.

I'm sorely tempted by the LG.

Beware of the panel lottery. i.e. QC on panels is often iffy, and you can get units with dead pixels. And it takes quite a lot of dead pixels to count as a fault. So check the store's returns policy...