More advanced air cooling solutions

tom_gr7

Life Serving
What it says in the title, I'd like to see more air cooling options in the desktop configurator.

I agree mate, although I'm sure Ive mentioned it before.

What kinda coolers would you like to see? If its a specific model then you could purchase it yourself and have it delivered to PCS when you order your system, may have to ask nicely though.

OR choose the stock intel cooler, and buy a cpu cooler and install it yourself. But make sure your case has a big enough motherboard cut out, or you will have to remove the motherboard to install the cooler.

wowcraftify

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the tip but I don't think it'd be under warranty unless I sent it to be fitted or asked for a specific item in the extra items section if they allow specific brands etc.

Edit: I know it's completely off topic but I'd also like to see some 60/64gb SSD choices.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
It would be nice but you can see why PCS don't offer a huge variety as it's much easier to manage stock levels, etc when you're limited to 1 or 2 products. I think it's because most of the time the Triple Copper Heatpipe is sufficient enough for any non-overclocked machine. I know they used to offer a more expensive alternative (the Spire I think?) but that was overkill for a stock rig but underkill for an overclocked one apparently compared to liquid.

I'm very happy with my Triple Copper Heatpipe though as my CPU never goes over the 50 degree mark under load (not that I've seen anyway) although my rig is quite noisy at times and I can't work out whether it's the hard drive or the CPU cooler.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
I know they used to offer a more expensive alternative (the Spire I think?) but that was overkill for a stock rig but underkill for an overclocked one apparently compared to liquid.

The high end air cooling solutions are pretty big and heavy to attach to a motherboard. This isn't an issue with the PC is sitting on the floor being used, but not so great when trying to transport the PC around - they can easily come loose.

I'm guessing this was one of the reasons behind removing these as an option - they may have caused too many customer problems.

although my rig is quite noisy at times and I can't work out whether it's the hard drive or the CPU cooler

If I were to guess at a culprit, I'd go for the GPU.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
If I were to guess at a culprit, I'd go for the GPU.

Hmmm I'm not sure, it's not necessarily while gaming, mainly on start-up and especially louder when I'm downloading things which makes me think of the hard drive. It actually quietens down a bit once I've been on a game for a bit. It's a strange noise though, kind of like a stomach rumbling or a disc spinning in the drive type of noise.

And I didn't realise the high end air coolers were pretty big! Saying that, my triple copper heatpipe takes up a fair amount of space although I do think it stands out nicely inside my rig.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
And I didn't realise the high end air coolers were pretty big! Saying that, my triple copper heatpipe takes up a fair amount of space although I do think it stands out nicely inside my rig.

haha, yeah the higher end air coolers are massive! But do offer many benefits such as, large surface area, look good, high performance, quiet and absolutely no risk water tubes bursting and wiping out your whole PC. You can overclock on most of the high end coolers, its just the really high end liquid coolers often are slightly cooler.

AS for for them being heavy, my Noctua D14 has three 120mm fans on it, whilst it may be a few kg's, its not made difference to the mobo. Whilst transporting, I just pack the inside of the PC really well.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Air coolers can be big and bulky and can fall of the computer during transit (even when screwed in!), resulting in a DOA PC. The position of air based coolers means that the heat is dissipated inside the PC, next to the graphics card and memory and therefore increasing the overall temperature of the PC.

Liquid coolers are light, quiet and the high end models cool better than the high end air coolers - great for overclocking. They also help increase airflow through the PC as they don't have a huge heatsink sitting in the way spitting out heat right inside the PC - the heat is transferred to the radiator at the back of the PC where it is then expelled. A far better design! :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Air coolers can be big and bulky and can fall of the computer during transit (even when screwed in!)

Yeah but...but...I think mine looks mint and it gives me better temps than my old eco.

SDC11677.JPG