more learning questions if you don't mind please about cpu cores and games :)

leea123

Enthusiast
Hi all, hope you don't. mind me asking another question for my pc learning.

I have been looking at core speeds on games and I can see they are different for different games. I have been using ryzen master and have a few questions if that's ok.
While playing world of warcraft I can see one of the cores stays a lot higher around 3500mhz speed and the other cores are rarely going over 800, some even going to sleep now and again. Is this because of the game design?

When I play Dying light 2, I have mostly even speeds across all the cores. apart from two that are a little higher Is this because this game was designed to use more cores, so the load is spread on the cores?

Is this also in some way related to warcraft being a more CPU-intensive game, which I do not think I really understand what that means in theory, as in my head if it was it would use more cores at higher speeds?

Thank you all

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, hope you don't. mind me asking another question for my pc learning.

I have been looking at core speeds on games and I can see they are different for different games. I have been using ryzen master and have a few questions if that's ok.
While playing world of warcraft I can see one of the cores stays a lot higher around 3500mhz speed and the other cores are rarely going over 800, some even going to sleep now and again. Is this because of the game design?

When I play Dying light 2, I have mostly even speeds across all the cores. apart from two that are a little higher Is this because this game was designed to use more cores, so the load is spread on the cores?

Is this also in some way related to warcraft being a more CPU-intensive game, which I do not think I really understand what that means in theory, as in my head if it was it would use more cores at higher speeds?

Thank you all
That's a really good question, and the answer is a little complicated.

Essentially there's a few factors with game.

What type of game is it? So for instance most RTS games are more CPU bound as they are processing more physics calculations than graphical prowess.

What resolution is it playing at? As the resolution lowers, the more the load is shifted onto the CPU and vice versa as you head up to 4k

What age is the game? More modern titles are much more using multicore, like Warzone where they will pretty much grab how ever many cores are available, whereas older games tended to only use 1 or a few cores

Best way to find out if the game you're playing is CPU bound or GPU bound and how many cpu cores it's going to benefit from is google

I realise that's not the best answer and still leaves things rather muddy, but there is no firm and fast answer to this, it all depends on the games design, the game engine used and the system it's playing on.

There may be someone else with a more fluent response.

leea123

Enthusiast
That's a really good question, and the answer is a little complicated.

Essentially there's a few factors with game.

What type of game is it? So for instance most RTS games are more CPU bound as they are processing more physics calculations than graphical prowess.

What resolution is it playing at? As the resolution lowers, the more the load is shifted onto the CPU and vice versa as you head up to 4k

What age is the game? More modern titles are much more using multicore, like Warzone where they will pretty much grab how ever many cores are available, whereas older games tended to only use 1 or a few cores

Best way to find out if the game you're playing is CPU bound or GPU bound and how many cpu cores it's going to benefit from is google

I realise that's not the best answer and still leaves things rather muddy, but there is no firm and fast answer to this, it all depends on the games design, the game engine used and the system it's playing on.

There may be someone else with a more fluent response.
thanks for that, it helps me understand a little more,