More memory

jacbuc

This is the spec for the computer I purchased from pc specalist.
Case COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache)
Motherboard ASUS® P7H57D-V EVO: FULL ATX, TRUE USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0GB/s
Memory (RAM) 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card 1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5770 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st Hard Disk Partitions 340GB, 300GB
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)
Power Supply & Case Cooling 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£25)
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse Logitech® Cordless Desktop Wave™ Laser Mouse & Keyboard Combo (£45)
Warranty 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, Lifetime Tech Support) (£5)
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days
Price (excluding VAT) £746.55
Price £877.20
Order Quantity 1
Bulk discount £0.00
Total order price (Ex VAT) £746.55
Total order Price
£877.20

6 months ago 4 meg seemed more than enough. Crysis has proved me wrong. Which way should I go to increase my memory
1 Buy another 4meg (2x 2meg)
2 Buy another single 4meg
3 Buy 2x4meg and sell 2x2meg
Thanks in advance for any help

JSG10

Expert
By meg I assume you mean gig?
For gaming purposes 4Gb should be more than enough! That spec should run Crysis quite easily. What seems to be the problem? Have you tried many other games?
You'd need to buy Ram to match whats already in there and I don't think PCS stock Corsair ram any more so would probably be better to buy a whole new set and sell your old... if its working correctly that is.

jacbuc

Yes I meant gig. Been running Crysis fine up to Reckoning level then system slows almost to a stop and hard-drive starts working overtime if I shut down game at this stage takes a couple of minutes to return to windows screen.

Rakk

The Awesome
It is actually your memory running out, or is it something else holding it back, graphics card for instance?

Tom DWC

Refresh my memory, is Reckoning the final level where you battle the giant alien sea monster thing?

If so it's by far the most graphically intensive part of the game and has a real hit on the frame rate. Never underestimate the ability of Crysis to make a PC cry, even after all these years. Stick the game on medium settings with 2x anti-aliasing for the last bit and you should be sorted. Still looks pretty good too.

Judging by your spec it's almost definitely the graphics card limiting performance. Nothing to do with the RAM.

Nice optimisation guide here that you may find useful if you want to have a play around:

http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html