Moving old SSD to new laptop

PaulCarter

Hi
I'm thinking of buying a new laptop for my wife as her old one is on it's last legs.
I put an SSD into that laptop about 18months ago to speed it up a bit and that's still plenty for her needs.
So, I was wondering whether i could buy a laptop without a HDD and just take the SSD out of the old laptop and use it on the new one?
That would save the cost of a new SSD and a new Windows license etc.
I've done something similar in the past but am worried that the new UEFI firmware (which the old laptop doesn't have) would stop it working.

thanks
Paul

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi
I'm thinking of buying a new laptop for my wife as her old one is on it's last legs.
I put an SSD into that laptop about 18months ago to speed it up a bit and that's still plenty for her needs.
So, I was wondering whether i could buy a laptop without a HDD and just take the SSD out of the old laptop and use it on the new one?
I've done something similar in the past but am worried that the new UEFI firmware (which the old laptop doesn't have) would stop it working.

thanks
Paul

You won't be able to order a laptop without a drive. You could just order one with a cheap hdd or contact PCS if they let you send your own drive as it has to be used for testing before dispatch.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi

thanks
Paul

Further to keynes's reply (which is of course accurate) your ability to reuse the Windows license from the old laptop depends entirely on what sort of a licence you have for it. If the copy of Windows came pre-installed on a commercially bought laptop it will be an OEM license. OEM licenses allow you to run that copy of Windows only on the laptop (or PC) it came with. You will not legally be able to run it on your new PCS laptop.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Further to keynes's reply (which is of course accurate) your ability to reuse the Windows license from the old laptop depends entirely on what sort of a licence you have for it. If the copy of Windows came pre-installed on a commercially bought laptop it will be an OEM license. OEM licenses allow you to run that copy of Windows only on the laptop (or PC) it came with. You will not legally be able to run it on your new PCS laptop.

However - and Ubuyusa is absolutely right here - MS have supposedly come up with a mechanism that allows you to tie the key to your Microsoft account not the machine, so making it transferable.

Now that said, I've never used it and I believe it's Win 10 only and depends on how you got that license/type it is.