Moving PC to uni

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Im sorting out how to package my PC to take to uni. I have kept all the original packaging, the only problem is that the box is SO big that it wont fit in the car, and i dont have any other boxes that will fit the PC and the polystyrene packaging in it.
So i was wondering is there any harm in putting the polystyrene on the sides of the PC, using some bubble wrap to fill any gaps, and then just pack all my other boxes of stuff around the pc, so in a sense the other boxes become the PC box? Are there likely to be any issues with this? The drive is around 2.5 hours.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah will be fine mate

I tend to place my rig on its "back" on the back seat, with pillows either side, packed inside with newspaper so give gpu's/cpu cooler support.

just watch the speed bumps :)

oh an dont forget to buckle it in :) haha lol am kiddin, but do make sure it cant slide off the seat!!!

Rakk

The Awesome
As tom_gr said it should be perfectly fine as long as you pack it so its cant move much.

Mine survived perfectly well in the back of my car (with its totally shot suspension) when I went to i44 - 2 and a bit hour drive there, then the drive to the camp site and back (including about a billion speed bumps), being carried into i44, then being carried out 4 days later and driven 2 and a bit hours home including down my road which has an awful lot of potholes and bumps in it (I think that's why my suspension is shot, you kind of bounce along that road as you drive along it)

I just put mine flat in the boot, filled up the space round it with various bits and pieces, finally with pillows, my coat and sleeping bag round the sides between it and everything else, and put the monitor box (with monitor) ontop of it to weight it down some more in case it was needed.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
When you say 'back' do you mean the mobo side of the rig? Thats how i was intending on laying it, so the window side is facing up.
haha dont worry i will make sure it cant move an inch!

Also in terms of packing the inside of the PC, i still have that blue foam like stuff that came in the PC, should i just put that back inside? or should i put newspapers in aswell?

Last edited:

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Rakk, with regards to the monitor, i read alot about not laying them flat ie making sure they are upright as they would be on your desk. Should i stick to the upright position? Same goes for my 32" tv, guessing that would be safer in the upright position?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I just put mine flat in the boot

Poor thing goes in the boot!!! mine gets to sit on the back seat ;), it would sit up front, but the missus vetoed that idea :(

When you say 'back' do you mean the mobo side of the rig? Thats how i was intending on laying it, so the window side is facing up.

Also in terms of packing the inside of the PC, i still have that blue foam like stuff that came in the PC, should i just put that back inside? or should i put newspapers in aswell?

yeah window side up :) so it can look out the window....:whistling:

I'd use the foam stuff too and fill gaps with newspaper.

Rakk

The Awesome
Rakk, with regards to the monitor, i read alot about not laying them flat ie making sure they are upright as they would be on your desk. Should i stick to the upright position? Same goes for my 32" tv, guessing that would be safer in the upright position?

To be honest I don't actually know if its better to stand it upright or, I just laid mine down in its box, but then there isn't exactly a lot of space in the boot of a Corsa (especially once it has the PC in there as well), so I didn't have space to stand it upright anyways.

mishra

Rising Star
When transporting I am always putting my case "flat" so that the mobo is at the bottom with CPU/Fan facing upwards. This way you reduce amount of stress from the CPU cooler applied on the mobo. This can be dangerous if you transport your PC in normal "verical" position, and you have some very big fan. On a speed bump the cooler bracket can easily snap and will hit the next device underneath (most likely your precious graphic card).

So yeah just put it flat and you will be fine - but make sure mobo is not up-side down :p