MSFS 2020 getting DLSS!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm hoping this is an actual plan and not just interview speak. I've been keeping a keen eye on the development roadmap for a while now. Specifically waiting to see if DLSS will be employed for VR also (VR is most definitely a 2nd class citizen with this game).

Roadmap is here, doesn't have a date for DLSS so hopefully this is an indication that it's going to be official soon :D

barlew

Godlike
I don't think the news here is as big as it seems, MSFS2020 graphics are very good but they aren't mind-blowing. As far as i am aware the frame-rate issues with MSFS2020 are not to do with the graphics themselves. Its because the game is running so many simulated systems in the background that it just tanks the CPU usage. DLSS whilst a welcome addition is not going to change that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't think the news here is as big as it seems, MSFS2020 graphics are very good but they aren't mind-blowing. As far as i am aware the frame-rate issues with MSFS2020 are not to do with the graphics themselves. Its because the game is running so many simulated systems in the background that it just tanks the CPU usage. DLSS whilst a welcome addition is not going to change that.

You're correct in what you see as the issue, but DLSS will still have a huge impact when you think about it.

The game is definitely CPU heavy but the CPU utilisation also scales with the resolution. If it didn't, there would be no issue running the game across any resolution with the same hardware. This isn't the case as 4k needs more CPU grunt, as well as the obvious GPU grunt, to handle.

Ergo.... if the game runs at 1080p with the AI upscaling to 4k, the CPU will be calculating for 1080p but the visuals will be 4k.

Obviously that's massively simplified, but it's the expectation of what DLSS will bring. It's actually expected to bring a bigger impact to the FPS than it would with other titles that are actually GPU limited.

barlew

Godlike
You're correct in what you see as the issue, but DLSS will still have a huge impact when you think about it.

The game is definitely CPU heavy but the CPU utilisation also scales with the resolution. If it didn't, there would be no issue running the game across any resolution with the same hardware. This isn't the case as 4k needs more CPU grunt, as well as the obvious GPU grunt, to handle.

Ergo.... if the game runs at 1080p with the AI upscaling to 4k, the CPU will be calculating for 1080p but the visuals will be 4k.

Obviously that's massively simplified, but it's the expectation of what DLSS will bring. It's actually expected to bring a bigger impact to the FPS than it would with other titles that are actually GPU limited.
I get what you are saying and I don't claim to be an expert in DLSS but what I do know is FPS in MSFS is not as bound to resolution as you might think. For example when I play 1080P on ultra I get very similar frames to when I am playing on ultra on 1440P.

If you check this video out the difference between 1080P ultra and 1440P ultra is 3 frames for the 2080TI.

Where I think this will make a big difference would be if someone is trying to play in 4K but for the rest of us peasants I think it will make a difference for sure but I cant see it being insane.

*Edit" - Just realised my final point literally just agrees with your whole post @Scott :rolleyes:

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
Are you sure? You just totally backed up exactly what I said.... :D

Edit: Edit :LOL: :LOL:
picard-infinite-facepalm-gif-9.gif