MSFS release August 18th!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Similar findings to myself but I honestly didn't even know about the Windows Game mode. How on earth did I miss this one haha.

The GPU, as is known with simulators, isn't as important as the CPU. We are always going to be CPU bound. That shows that the 2060 is the GPU for 1440p with FS2020. The 2080 Super has you more than covered for 4k. My GPU is loaded around 60% at 1080p. It'll peak in at 80 or so and drop down to 50 or so, but this is because I'm only on 1080p. Once I hit VR I think the 2080 will come into it's own (and even the 2080Ti).

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just had another re-visit. I played with the depth of field as I hadn't touched that before. Somehow.... I get worse performance by lowering it. Best performance for me is when I have it on ultra.

Interestingly, the scaling of the game is GPU based, it's everything else that's CPU limited. I bumped up the scaling and all that took a hit was my GPU %age, the FPS remained the same. I've got it now averaging around 95% at 140% resolution and it's still happily munching 60fps.

This is great news I think, it means that the game will scale amazingly with GPU/Resolution.

My GPU temp is now mid 70s though while my CPU is still 61C haha. Might even see an 80C now.

Having said that, the scaling does nothing that I can see for the visuals. They are stunning at 1:1 so a waste of resource really. Will save it for VR I think.

There is a TON of work to be done with this game, we all know this. I think we are in for some real improvements across the board, I can't wait.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just had another re-visit. I played with the depth of field as I hadn't touched that before. Somehow.... I get worse performance by lowering it. Best performance for me is when I have it on ultra.

Interestingly, the scaling of the game is GPU based, it's everything else that's CPU limited. I bumped up the scaling and all that took a hit was my GPU %age, the FPS remained the same. I've got it now averaging around 95% at 140% resolution and it's still happily munching 60fps.

This is great news I think, it means that the game will scale amazingly with GPU/Resolution.

My GPU temp is now mid 70s though while my CPU is still 61C haha. Might even see an 80C now.

Having said that, the scaling does nothing that I can see for the visuals. They are stunning at 1:1 so a waste of resource really. Will save it for VR I think.

There is a TON of work to be done with this game, we all know this. I think we are in for some real improvements across the board, I can't wait.
Wow! That's a true testament to the power of the H115i, that's incredible temps on the CPU! Case as well I suppose has a lot to do with that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just switched full traffic on, live weather the works..... up to a 15 fps hit haha. Sitting around 10 avg. All on the CPU of course

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Wow! That's a true testament to the power of the H115i, that's incredible temps on the CPU! Case as well I suppose has a lot to do with that.

It is a phenomenal piece of kit. Add to the fact that it's crammed in my cupboard too, I dare say its getting toasty in there as well right now.

That being said, the CPU threads aren't being hammered. There's only a few of the cores being used so it's kept in check quite easily.... thankfully. I'm actually thinking about taking the time to monitor it closely and then add some frequency to the most used cores. See if I can eek 5.3ghz out of the top 2 cores or something like that. To see what difference that makes.

I've got a bit of temp headroom anyway, even maxed out it sits at 80C on my extreme profile on the H115i.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Hi everyone :) Been a while since I've been on here, been dived into the new sim!! I'm getting 30-40 fps at 1440p on the sim no matter where I go, all on High settings. Worst I've had is about ~25fps flying through NYC which was still manageable. Attached some screenshots here that are my faves I've taken in the sim, check it out :)

Name is: Turt#2819

Attachments

• Sim1.jpg
    Sim1.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Sim9.jpg
    Sim9.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Sim8.jpg
    Sim8.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Sim7.jpg
    Sim7.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Sim6.jpg
    Sim6.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Sim5.jpg
    Sim5.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Sim4.jpg
    Sim4.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 203
  • Sim3.jpg
    Sim3.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Sim2.jpg
    Sim2.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 209

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Had a cruise over Tokyo just to see what was what and hit 62FPS avg. GPU was almost 100% so it's definitely being worked a little harder.

Went for a tour around the Rest and be Thankful in Scotland and then thought the Grand Canyon would be nice for a visit. Recorded some of the Grand Canyon. Went with one of the more "fun" planes so that I could do a few tricks and muck about. Interesting point, if you turn off all damage it never goes to black and you can just keep going.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Had a cruise over Tokyo just to see what was what and hit 62FPS avg. GPU was almost 100% so it's definitely being worked a little harder.

Went for a tour around the Rest and be Thankful in Scotland and then thought the Grand Canyon would be nice for a visit. Recorded some of the Grand Canyon. Went with one of the more "fun" panes so that I could do a few tricks and muck about. Interesting point, if you turn off all damage it never goes to black and you can just keep going.

My god, the visuals really are quite incredible aren't they!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
My god, the visuals really are quite incredible aren't they!

They're unreal. For me the real key to it all is the lighting. The bloom/rays and the shadows just make it unbelievable.

If they get this on DX12 with Raytracing in the next gen I think it's really going to be something to behold. There's no question it's already "next gen" but there's just no telling where they can go with it. ASOBO have done some job on the engine and it's only going to get better.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Went for a tour around the Rest and be Thankful in Scotland and then thought the Grand Canyon would be nice for a visit. Recorded some of the Grand Canyon. Went with one of the more "fun" planes so that I could do a few tricks and muck about. Interesting point, if you turn off all damage it never goes to black and you can just keep going.

That was a close call at 3:58! Nice recovery!

@Grumpywurzel is going to be jealous of your frame rate in Tokyo 😆

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Not sure if it makes any difference that it was nighttime in Tokyo, I've read that night can actually be worse.

behrSH9.png

PRWFRFV.png

JQPM9mh.png

26zVMHT.png

IkNx0aa.png

xafFQo4.png

D9Y0sqD.png

vRNObVW.png

IWGSooQ.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The detail in the cities is just insanely good on the ground, you can make out the individual buildings and even individual street lights.

And the water as well is so well done.

What resolution are you playing at? Is it 4k?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The detail in the cities is just insanely good on the ground, you can make out the individual buildings and even individual street lights.

That's 1080p :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

4k must be absolutely jaw dropping. I genuinely can't wait to see this on the Index.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

Interestingly, if you look at the last Toyko picture. You can clearly see the Sun setting.... but... look to the left at the horizon. I read about this the other day, they have actually added light pollution from street lights in built up areas. You get that aura/hue over cities when you are approaching heavily lit areas. The attention to detail is just unreal.

I have to laugh as well, as MS have just released this game and let us get on with it. Other than the odd promo vid and "coming soon" ad, they are barely marketing the thing. It's literally selling itself. I've not seen any documentation to list these features so it's like easter egg after easter egg when you find them. Of course there are negatives to this too but it all adds to the experience and the charm for me.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

That's pretty impressive, but I've flown over the Grand Canyon for real (in a helicopter) and it's WAY more impressive in real life. I also happen to know that the air traffic control rules over the canyon are very strict so I'd expect a call from the FAA in the next few days after all those low level aerobatics.... [emoji1787]

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's pretty impressive, but I've flown over the Grand Canyon for real (in a helicopter) and it's WAY more impressive in real life. I also happen to know that the air traffic control rules over the canyon are very strict so I'd expect a call from the FAA in the next few days after all those low level aerobatics.... [emoji1787]

ATC were moaning at me constantly over the radio in the game haha.

I've not been over myself but my Dad has and said that it's breathtaking. Obviously there are limitations with the game, not least of which most of the high resolution images are actually stretched over the peaks etc, making it look un-natural.

Not bad for a first draft though :D

Which has just reminded me of something. The Grand Canyon is auto generated in the game. It's not something that the devs have gone over with a fine tooth comb trying to add to. It's typical of well imaged areas all around the globe. The areas that they have actually put some effort into have points of interest attached to them. If anything, that makes it even more impressive that what you see in that video is just bog standard satellite image rendering.