Multiplayer games

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I've ignored multiplayer games for many years as so many of the online communities seem to be full of foul-mouthed young kids who don't take kindly to losing, or to winning for that matter. As my internet situation has recently changed, I'm now in a position to get into some games I could potentially dip in and out of. Any recommendations? I've been sat on a Steam key for Fall Guys for a while, so I've been playing that a bit which is fun. Anybody got any recommendations for others?

Last edited:

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
I've ignored multiplayer games for many years as so many of the online communities seem to be full of foul-mouthed young kids who don't take kindly to losing, or to winning for that matter. As my internet situation has recently changed, I'm now in a position to get into some games I could potentially dip in and out of. Any recommendations? I've been sat on a Steam key for Fall Guys for a while, so I've been playing that a bit which is fun. Anybody got any recommendations for others?
The Call of Duty Warzone is apparently good but there again most of the Call of Duty ones are. then you have ones like fallout 76, GTA 5 and of course the golden oldies like Counter Strike Gobal Offensive and Team Fortress.. Depends on what games you like to play. ive not included any strategy type games like Stellaris, Total War etc

sadly i don't play in multiplayer unless they are LAN games. not because of the fore mentioned foul mouthed kids but because if you are in a team you need to be able to chat to and listen to your teammates which is something i cannot do. i would love to be able to do that.. just to attempt to teach the youngsters that foul language will just usually get you a kicking on the next multiplayer game

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I used to play quite a bit of Left 4 Dead with randoms, which then turned into regular sessions with three guys I’d met playing it who were both good at the game and more importantly; nice people. I think the co-op nature of the game and encouraging teamwork brought people together.

Vastly different to when I played a lot of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 online. I eventually muted voice chat because I couldn’t tolerate the overwhelming amount of homophobic and racist slurs that permeated it.

‘Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, give a man a competitive online first person shooter and he becomes a bloody idiot’

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast
I used to play quite a bit of Left 4 Dead with randoms, which then turned into regular sessions with three guys I’d met playing it who were both good at the game and more importantly; nice people. I think the co-op nature of the game and encouraging teamwork brought people together.

Vastly different to when I used to play a lot of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 online. I eventually muted voice chat because I couldn’t tolerate the overwhelming amount of homophobic and racist slurs that permeated it.

‘Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, give a man an online first person shooter and he becomes a bloody idiot’
yeah i did play Battlefield 2142 in multiplayer a few times when i was young and got to know a few players online.. eventually we parted ways.. i know one of them was joining the german army.. went by the wonderful name of snookie lol

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I played a hell of a lot of Titanfall 2, used to run a community night every Tuesday where we would play. Awesome fun!

The trend towards battle royale and microtransaction has really pushed me out though. I really don't like Battle Royale format no matter how many times I try it and Microtransaction are just a hard no for me

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I played a hell of a lot of Titanfall 2, used to run a community night every Tuesday where we would play. Awesome fun!

The trend towards battle royale and microtransaction has really pushed me out though. I really don't like Battle Royale format no matter how many times I try it and Microtransaction are just a hard no for me
I've played a bit of Fall Guys this morning which is the kind of battle royale game I can get into - jelly bean-type characters doing assault course races that wouldn't look out of place in Takeshi's Castle is my thing it seems.

Totally agreed on the almost generic nature of most battle royale games and microtransactions though!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've played a bit of Fall Guys this morning which is the kind of battle royale game I can get into - jelly bean-type characters doing assault course races that wouldn't look out of place in Takeshi's Castle is my thing it seems.

Totally agreed on the almost generic nature of most battle royale games and microtransactions though!
Fall Guys is a really clever approach to collaborative gaming though, much like Minecraft. Brings out competition but in a much more healthy respect it seems.