Music format discussion

Stephen M

Author Level
I find HDDs great for music, my collection is well over 1 TB, all FLAC files and it is really handy to be able to have it in car or wherever I am staying.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I find HDDs great for music, my collection is well over 1 TB, all FLAC files and it is really handy to be able to have it in car or wherever I am staying.
I have all my media on HDD's and they're all 5400rpm NAS drives, never had an issue.

HDD's are far more resilient from failure than SSD's, and a lot of people like to own their libraries rather than being at the mercy of streaming sites.

Gavras

Master Poster
I just stream.

Try Tidal with Sony 360 Audio and Sony WH-1000XM3/4

admittedly I use Apple Music when driving.

I still have Music on my NAS but cannot remember last time I played it.

simoler to leave it to Alexa, Siri or just quick search on IPad Etc.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I just stream.

I have a music collection put together over more than 40 years, and when you play digital music it's impossible to tell on what media the music you're hearing is being stored. Technology is just a tool and if a tool from 30 years ago (an HDD) provides all the features you need then there is no point in moving to a newer technology just for the sake of it. I do stream music when it's the most appropriate means for me to access it but I (we) enjoy listening to music we bought together decades ago - music that we already have on HDD. Hence: if it ain't broke then don't fix it. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a music collection put together over more than 40 years, and when you play digital music it's impossible to tell on what media the music you're hearing is being stored. Technology is just a tool and if a tool from 30 years ago (an HDD) provides all the features you need then there is no point in moving to a newer technology just for the sake of it. I do stream music when it's the most appropriate means for me to access it but I (we) enjoy listening to music we bought together decades ago - music that we already have on HDD. Hence: if it ain't broke then don't fix it. :)
I stream all my own content when out of the house through Plex, but hosted on my own server.

I've had so many times when a streaming service has deprecated and removed a piece of music or movie that I loved. Happens all the time. They only hold the license for a set time, it's up to them after that period if they want to keep it or sell it on if it's not giving them enough hits.

A lot of the movies / music I love are more underground things that are sometimes very hard to find, most streaming sites don't have them as they wouldn't provide enough hits.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I just stream.

My music for driving is on a USB stick which gets updated regularly from unlimited amazon music

Gavras

Master Poster
I stream all my own content when out of the house through Plex, but hosted on my own server.

I've had so many times when a streaming service has deprecated and removed a piece of music or movie that I loved. Happens all the time. They only hold the license for a set time, it's up to them after that period if they want to keep it or sell it on if it's not giving them enough hits.

A lot of the movies / music I love are more underground things that are sometimes very hard to find, most streaming sites don't have them as they wouldn't provide enough hits.

understandable if listening to underground type of stuff and it’s legally acquired.

it’s those with TB of illegally acquired music.

Must admit not found a situation where not managed to find a track on either Apple, Amazon or Tidal.

Also travelling a lot means streaming is great (obviously you can download it as well).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
understandable if listening to underground type of stuff and it’s legally acquired.

it’s those with TB of illegally acquired music.

Must admit not found a situation where not managed to find a track on either Apple, Amazon or Tidal.

Also travelling a lot means streaming is great (obviously you can download it as well).
I trust you're not suggesting that because I have the bulk of my music stored on HDD it must therefore have been obtained illegally?

Gavras

Master Poster
I trust you're not suggesting that because I have the bulk of my music stored on HDD it must therefore have been obtained illegally?
Nope, generalisation.

unless of course you have copied music from others, friends etc, then that is illegal

For example copying music from someone else’s hard drive etc.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is purely for me to flex and gloat as I'm incredibly proud of my music collection... I gave up the family endeavours and this is my reward! :p

When you buy a record, almost always it includes a high res or minimum 320kbs mp3 version to download, this is just upstairs in the office, an awful lot is in the garage as currently don't have space until I move:

IMG_1654.jpeg

Gavras

Master Poster
This is purely for me to flex and gloat as I'm incredibly proud of my music collection... I gave up the family endeavours and this is my reward! :p

When you buy a record, almost always it includes a high res or minimum 320kbs mp3 version to download, this is just upstairs in the office, an awful lot is in the garage as currently don't have space until I move:

View attachment 21402
Really good collection.

we donated circa 1100 records over last 8 months, mainly to a couple charities but also to some friends.

My wife worked in a record department (not the virgin / HMV type) and I had been collecting since 1970’s.

Meant we got one of rooms back and my mate has his storage unit back lol.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Really good collection.

we donated circa 1100 records over last 8 months, mainly to a couple charities but also to some friends.

My wife worked in a record department (not the virgin / HMV type) and I had been collecting since 1970’s.

Meant we got one of rooms back and my mate has his storage unit back lol.
That's the ONLY downside to vinyl is the storage requirements.... Man, I would have loved to have seen that collection, bet you had some gems!

Gavras

Master Poster
That's the ONLY downside to vinyl is the storage requirements.... Man, I would have loved to have seen that collection, bet you had some gems!
Not just storage space but also safe storage to prevent warping and damp etc.

actually had some from 1980’s in original cellophane wrapping and inside a plastic record protection sleeve.

I do miss the artwork that was prevalent on Album covers, Yes, Mountain, magnum, etc and Picture discs.

The CD had a lot to answer for with how it decimated art.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

actually had some from 1980’s in original cellophane wrapping and inside a plastic record protection sleeve.

I do miss the artwork that was prevalent on Album covers, Yes, Mountain, magnum, etc and Picture discs.

That’s one of the reasons I love vinyl so much is the physicality and uniqueness of a lot of releases, they really are unlike any other medium in that respect, just feels so much more important to me.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

And how albums used to come with song lyrics and info on the band

Gavras

Master Poster
And how albums used to come with song lyrics and info on the band
Ones such as my Uriah heap one came with programme inside.

Yes loads photos as well and lyrics.

I had ocd when people put sleeves back in so the record could fall out of sleeve.

Stephen M

Author Level
Streaming sites are only marginally better than illegal downloads, the royalties they pay artists is a pittance.

I much prefer to own a hard copy of something then record. Do not even use the free Amazon downloads that come with purchases as much prefer FLAC to mp3.

Still got quite a bit of old vinyl to get recorded and need a new stylus for the 78 rpm discs.