My 7 months old Optimus IV laptop was stolen yesterday from my house in Dublin. Help?

edwkel

Hi, I finally ordered a laptop. Due to be delivered on Monday. Cant wait to get it now. I was thinking from a security point of view, what software should i consider to protect the laptop in case it was ever stolen again?

Any suggestions here?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Well there is the Intel anti-theft software which I think comes with a 1 month trial on all PCS laptops

Then there is basic things like settings up a password for the OS so they can't access your files very easily.

And also doing regular backups on an external hard drive so that you still have all of your important files

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I just had mine added to my home insurance too so that if its lost or stolen the cost is covered under my home insurance, there is personal item insurance you can get too from other companies but no tinvestigated that any.

Is for security on the laptop itself exactly what Wazza says

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
Hi, I finally ordered a laptop. Due to be delivered on Monday. Cant wait to get it now. I was thinking from a security point of view, what software should i consider to protect the laptop in case it was ever stolen again?

Any suggestions here?
As I have a vested interest in this new mahine, may I suggest that you drill a small hole in one corner (try to avoid the electronics), put a long pirece of string through the hole knotted to form a loop and when you go out hang the laptop round your neck. Then try to avoid muggers! :tt2:
P.S. Seriously though, hope you enjoy your new lappy!

gaaron

Silver Level Poster
I've just come across this thread, what a wonderful read albeit through a bad situation.
My heart has been lifted with forum members genuine concern & help.
I am so glad you've received your laptop & I hope you both have a wonderful for all time relationship ;)

edwkel

As I have a vested interest in this new mahine, may I suggest that you drill a small hole in one corner (try to avoid the electronics), put a long pirece of string through the hole knotted to form a loop and when you go out hang the laptop round your neck. Then try to avoid muggers! :tt2:
P.S. Seriously though, hope you enjoy your new lappy!
Cheers for that :) id almost consider it ya know. Well if it happens again at least i am insured now. Ill hopefuly get to play around with it this evening. Cant wait.
I've just come across this thread, what a wonderful read albeit through a bad situation.
My heart has been lifted with forum members genuine concern & help.
I am so glad you've received your laptop & I hope you both have a wonderful for all time relationship ;)

Its been a roller coaster ride alright. Experiencing some dirty scumbag (presumably a junkie) breaking into my home was a low, the generosity both fiscal and of spirit here was a high.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. Really really appreciate it lads.

Milkybarkid

Bronze Level Poster
Stolen Laptop

Any suggestions here?

What about installing Prey on it, although if they took your hard drive out then they probably thought you had got that on already. Funny how they should take the trouble to take it out and leave it though.

http://preyproject.com/