My audio system, so near completion

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is mental, I know, but I'm so utterly excited about nearing completing my system, it's so damn close I can smell it, so I'm prepping a thread to show it all off.

End of this month, I'll be buying my final link in the system that's taken 4 years to build, in fact, 4 years to the month.

The final component are the speakers. I've chosen a Danish manufacturer, Buchardt Audio, Mads Buchardt used to work for Dynaudio and decided to start his own company. They're a direct sales model so completely skip out the middleman which I appreciate. I'm also a huge fan of the Danes influence in the Audio world, they really seem to make waves more often than not. Buchardt have certainly done that in every release since the S300 which was their first and entry level model.

Now, Mads ethos behind speaker building is certainly not to everyone's cup of tea. He believes in cheap but strong walls / chassis, then really high end drivers and a really strong crossover design. He believes so long as the internal air and pressure is directed in the appropriate way, then the drivers and crossover will take care of the rest. Thereby, the chassis is extremely cheaply made, although I love the finished design, it's clean, simple and striking. The bass port for instance is nothing more than a bit of cardboard tubing.

BUT, aside from all that, it all comes down to sound quality. I've done quite literally years of research into the best speakers for my tastes, I like quite a warm presentation with full lower end. I also really appreciate soundstage. I'm not really too fussed about detail to ludicrous degrees nor accuracy. As most of my listening is digital dance music or electronic, these speakers really compliment that. Couple with my ridiculously beautiful tube amplifier (valve for @ubuysa :)), I'm really hoping this gives me the magic I'm looking for.

These speakers go down to around 35Hz which is crazy low for a small (although a lot larger than most) bookshelf speaker. Soundstage also is supposed to be quite unbelievable.

I will post pictures of the system as a whole, after a good dusting once I've got them.

Proper, proper excited!!!!

images.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

slimbob

Enthusiast
Sounds scary good Spyder, look forward to seeing the pictures.

The best speakers/ separates system I ever had were a pair of Mission 751's teamed up with a Marantz Cd 52mk11 SE & Marantz PM66SE amp. I am going back probably 2+ decades! My Dad now has the CD player and amp but I sold the speakers a few years back. The system you are putting together is in a completely different league 😲

loso64

I'm also a huge fan of the Danes influence in the Audio world, they really seem to make waves more often than not.

Looking cool, speaking of Danes audio.... My girlfriends dad has this home... 95 000$ audio system.
I listened to his audio setup and played some song, and if there is something like eargasm, that is it

he even been alpha/beta testing some of their products as he is in very good standing with them.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Looking cool, speaking of Danes audio.... My girlfriends dad has this home... 95 000$ audio system.
I listened to his audio setup and played some song, and if there is something like eargasm, that is it

he even been alpha/beta testing some of their products as he is in very good standing with them.
o_O

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Bang and Olyfsen make some amazing products, it’s not just a fashion statement in the design, they do sound incredible also.

loso64

8200W per tower :D and that is not the only thing he has in the whole audio. He has also some back speakers, the TV of same brand is connected to it with its central speaker and he also has a subwoofer or two. All super mega calibrated to the room with who knows what :D
He is the biggest audiophile i have ever heard of. He can literally talk for hours at point about audio topics

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Time really does move in a circle. We used to have these kinds of discussion - though in magazines by writing letters - in my youth in the 70's! Tottenham Court Road in London used to be the centre of the world for Hi-Fi (no that's not a different kind of WiFi, honest). I once saw a huge Wharfedale speaker stack in one shop there with an advertising sign on the top that said "these speakers are so sensitive that in the 1812 Overture you can hear them strike the matches".

Nothing really changes. :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
What’s the lead time for delivery, out of curiosity?

And did you get that broken cartridge for your record player sorted?

And the most important question of all… what’s going to be the first thing you listen to in order to test it all?

(Hint: OK Computer)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What’s the lead time for delivery, out of curiosity?
It's from Denmark, I'm hoping it may be air freight, but am allowing 2 weeks so as not to be too impatient. But I'm hoping they'll be here by the end of next week at the latest.

And did you get that broken cartridge for your record player sorted?
Not yet, have had to put that off due to other commitments, but have that lined up in a few months.

And the most important question of all… what’s going to be the first thing you listen to in order to test it all?
Ooooooo! That's a seriously good question, and I really like the idea of OK Computer.

I have a limited edition of the 20th Anniversary vinyl which I haven't played yet, perhaps this is the occasion.... I do adore that album!

Another contender that I will play early on is Above & Beyond - Acoustic, it's a really well produced live album and really good for judging instrument separation and depth when the speakers are set up correctly.

Also need some James Brown! I've got Get On The Good Foot and Motherlode that will definitely be being played!

And also, another one that has to be played is the Blues Brothers Soundtrack.

Nice! What genre of dance music will you blasting through these?
Lols, Trance is my main vibe, bit obsessed with The Thrillseekers and DJ Lange at the moment, they've just released some limited edition compilation records on Bandcamp since lockdown and have picked them all up, so those will all be queued as well!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I think any of Nigel Godrich’s work with Radiohead is a decent shout to give an audio system a good run out. He layers sounds in such a distinct way.