My favourite records of the year

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry to bombard with all the music, but I've seen a few people doing this on twitter and thought it was a really nice idea, a little summary of my favourite new finds this year.

Number 5: Factor B - Theatre Of The Mind. This album moved me so much, the release coincided with the death of his Fiancee, and I followed him pretty close through her deterioration, and then after her death. I think aside from the music, I felt really connected to this album through seeing what they were going through. He's a remarkable guy.

Number 4: Legrand Jazz. Certainly not new, released originally in 1958. Michel Legrand had done some work for Columbia records previously, and they'd failed to pay him, so he asked them if he could create and album with their up and coming artists. It just so happened, these artists were the likes of Count Basie, Herbie Mann, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, Art Farmer, Donald Byrd and of course, Miles Davis. The album was a roaring success, and Columbia had to pay him out millions more in royalties than they originally owed This is a monumental album with some of the greatest names of all time, would recommend anyone to give it a listen.

Number 3: Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk. Full thanks to @Tron1982 for making me aware of his albums, this one absolutely blew me away, beautifully recorded with masterful integration between the musicians, down and dirty southern big band blues by someone I respect enormously in both the music world and TV / Movies, what's not to like.

Number 2: Odesza as an artist, just wow, these guys are incredible, such an unusual sound, almost japanese manga style to them, so original. Their album this year was The Last Goodbye, but I only heard of them this year as they were advertised alongside another record I was buying and thought I'd check them out. All their 4 albums to date are incredible.

Number 1 no questions asked: Fred Again as an artist, found him around summertime after his Boiler Room set went viral. His record this year was Actual Life 3, but I was lucky enough to get all 3 of his Actual Life releases, and number 1 is the most special. Incredible artist, and seeing some of his livestreams and interviews, awesome guy.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
There’s only one album worth talking about for me this year and it’s the soundtrack to the fantastic documentary about those lovely lads from Sparks.

FEF3B153-0335-429B-B02C-A255ACDC6FBD.jpeg

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
Sorry to bombard with all the music, but I've seen a few people doing this on twitter and thought it was a really nice idea, a little summary of my favourite new finds this year.

Number 3: Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk. Full thanks to @Tron1982 for making me aware of his albums, this one absolutely blew me away, beautifully recorded with masterful integration between the musicians, down and dirty southern big band blues by someone I respect enormously in both the music world and TV / Movies, what's not to like.
I've got his first album/CD. I was surprised how good it was. After all, he's an actor, not known previously as a singer :D

Number 4: Legrand Jazz. Certainly not new, released originally in 1958. Michel Legrand had done some work for Columbia records previously, and they'd failed to pay him, so he asked them if he could create and album with their up and coming artists. It just so happened, these artists were the likes of Count Basie, Herbie Mann, Bill Evans, John Coltrane, Art Farmer, Donald Byrd and of course, Miles Davis. The album was a roaring success, and Columbia had to pay him out millions more in royalties than they originally owed This is a monumental album with some of the greatest names of all time, would recommend anyone to give it a listen.
I'll have to look Legrande Jazz up.
Jazz isn't really my thing, but this album is good.

Also, I'm a fluteist, as long as you take a large pinch of salt with that (I'm roughly a grade 2 player).
That stroke affected my right hand quite a bit, so I can't keep my right fingers off the keys for long.
I'm always looking/listening for flute music to try (read murder), the greater the challenge the better.
I heard a Jeff Beck recording of Greensleeves, so tried to duet, with him on guitar and me on flute.
So, I got the sheet music, learned it. Listened to J.B again. Got my fingers up to speed.
It wasn't till I tried to 'duet', I discovered he was playing in a totally the wrong key :rolleyes: :LOL:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just an additional drop, Fred Again is doing a livestream of his Actual Life 3 playing on his roof in London, it should remain on YouTube after the livestream if you want a watch.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

With pleasure ^^
Always happy to share nice music with nice people ^^

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
VC Pines a london based group are worth checking out, Satellite is their latest release, I saw them at the Jazz Cafe in London last year, was a great night out