My first desktop - Any advise?

fabmac

G'day, after being introduced by a friend, I've found this site by far easier to work with than anything else I've tried, I want to get a computer to use UDK (Unreal Development Kit) and to play on, ideally any games within the next 2-3 years so its relatviely high spec, however since this is my first desktop pc I'm very wary about it and would welcome any advise or even confirmation about the spec, as for budget its pretty much stretched as far as it can go (theres only so far a student can go :) )

Case
ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X4 965 (3.40GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M4N98TD EVO: DDR3, 2-Way SLI, SATA 3.0GB/s
Memory (RAM)
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 2GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
Free Item
FREE H.A.W.X.2 Game (RRP: £39.99) with a qualifying GTS450/ GTX460 GPU!
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply & Case Cooling
1010W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£109)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Monitor
22" Wide TFT Silver/Black 1920 x1080 2MS D-Sub, DVI, 21.6" Panel (£119)
Speakers
LOGITECH S120 2.0 BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM (£9)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,024.00 including VAT and delivery.

Like I said, any advise about anything I could change or even confirmation that this will work well would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time :D

Sleinous

Author Level
Consider upgrading the HDD to the 1TB WD10EARS for a mere £5 more. COnsider upgrading the CPU to the Phenom X4 970 @ 3.50GHZ for £16 more. If you need to save money, drop the GPU to a 1GB GTX 460, no games use a full 2GB yet and wont for a while. ALthough, if you plan on SLI'ing 2 later on, you wont get 1GB + 1GB VRAM as it does not share so maybe you would be better off sticking with 2GB version. The options are endless! :)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
There's not really any use for more than 1GB on graphics cards until you reach super high resolutions of like 2560x1600.

neewhom

Silver Level Poster
Looking at the spec a 1000w psu seems overkill unless your gonna overclock and plan on Sli ing your gpu on overclock IMO

fabmac

Thanks for the help guys, as per recommendation I've upgraded to 1TB WD10EARS, I've left the CPU at 3.40 since the increase of 0.10 seems pretty minimal me but then again I'm not as technically savvy as you guys are, would it be worth it for £16 extra? I've been a little worried since it was on several friend recommendations to use a 1010w power source, it seems excessive but they assured me I'd need it but it may do well for me in the future as I plan to keep this pc for as long as I can, so it'll help if I add more components.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you guys mean by vram however, as for the 2GB graphics card, the price difference between this and the 1GB is £7 so it seems like I might aswell get it, thank you all for you help its been very reassuring, if you have any more advise I'd be glad to take it, I'll be ordering this on Friday night :)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
VRAM=Video random access memory and it's up to you whether to go for the phenom II x4 970 or not, it is a better CPU and you'll get 4-5 more frames per second in some games but it's not going to make a lot of difference.

Sleinous

Author Level
Its more than £7, I think you mean £7 between the 2gb gtx460 and the 1gb gtx 465, (the better card for photoshop etc as it has 20-odd more cuda cores).

Id pay £16 for the extra speed tbh.