My laptop suddenly dropped in performance and has started stuttering.

Void109

I have a Gtx 1060 6GB and an I7 8750H.
Yesterday I noticed random FPS drops in Overwatch (from a solid 60 to the 10s) and later realised that it was happening in that and all other direct X games (Fallout 4, Warthunder etc...).
I had just installed the latest Nvidia driver update and so I used DDU to uninstall it and install an older version that previously worked, however, this did not fix the issue.
I then reset my laptop and reinstalled the drivers and games, but this did not sort the issue either.
I have tried many other things that have fixed this issue in the past like uninstalling the HD audio from Nvidia and changing low latency to Off in the Nvidia control panel, but these all had no effect.
I also used afterburner to look at the clock rate of my GPU, which was constantly flipping between the mid 1000s and 139.
I am at wit's end and can't find or think of any more solutions.
Please help.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Have there been any Windows updates in the last few days?

Have you set power plans in Windows and in the Nvidia control panel to be high performance?

Imogen

Try checking all your settings over, sometimes you need to adjust some things to get the maximum fps in your games. A majority of the time it should be set to the highest your PC can take but sometimes you need to make sure some things are adjusted such as minecraft max FPS.

My laptop just reached the facility yesterday as there was apparently a GPU issue and it needs to be replaced, but then I experienced another issue which didn’t sound or even feel too good...!! It also made my games crash and my pc get blue screen of death at least twice a day, it’s only 20 days old too! So perhaps contacting support may help, they diagnosed the issue through event logs after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers twice, so they may be able to find something a bit more in depth that could possibly be wrong. So I’d suggest contacting support besides just posting here for answers in case something more deep down in depth may be occurring.

Here’s what happened to my laptop every time it crashed and when I tried playing minecraft! Never seen this minecraft issue before and neither has anyone else so I pointed it towards my drivers! There was also another blue screen crash saying IRQL_Not_less_or_equal

Attachments

• DB9B3C8E-7718-4F69-9E9F-43BC92FB0B42.jpeg
    DB9B3C8E-7718-4F69-9E9F-43BC92FB0B42.jpeg
    717.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 4E61C30B-6CFA-46B1-92A1-F43A62570148.jpeg
    4E61C30B-6CFA-46B1-92A1-F43A62570148.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 220

itburnz

Try checking all your settings over, sometimes you need to adjust some things to get the maximum fps in your games. A majority of the time it should be set to the highest your PC can take but sometimes you need to make sure some things are adjusted such as minecraft max FPS.

My laptop just reached the facility yesterday as there was apparently a GPU issue and it needs to be replaced, but then I experienced another issue which didn’t sound or even feel too good...!! It also made my games crash and my pc get blue screen of death at least twice a day, it’s only 20 days old too! So perhaps contacting support may help, they diagnosed the issue through event logs after uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers twice, so they may be able to find something a bit more in depth that could possibly be wrong. So I’d suggest contacting support besides just posting here for answers in case something more deep down in depth may be occurring.

Here’s what happened to my laptop every time it crashed and when I tried playing minecraft! Never seen this minecraft issue before and neither has anyone else so I pointed it towards my drivers! There was also another blue screen crash saying IRQL_Not_less_or_equal
"nvlddmkm.sys" this also seems to be what fails with my laptop causing a bsod. wonder if there is something wrong with the current nvidia drivers with some gpus. im running the 4k display vortex

Imogen

"nvlddmkm.sys" this also seems to be what fails with my laptop causing a bsod. wonder if there is something wrong with the current nvidia drivers with some gpus. im running the 4k display vortex
There may be a few issues going on around with production, I’ve seen a few cases of people having trouble with certain parts of their computer. Let me know if you contact support and if they diagnose you any occurring issues! :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Nvlddmkm.sys is indeed the Nvidia graphics driver. I would suggest downloading the latest driver for your GPU and OS from the Nvidia website (make sure you download the right one), then use DDU to remove all previous graphics drivers, reboot, and finally install the latest. Do that even if you already have the latest driver installed.

Imogen

Nvlddmkm.sys is indeed the Nvidia graphics driver. I would suggest downloading the latest driver for your GPU and OS from the Nvidia website (make sure you download the right one), then use DDU to remove all previous graphics drivers, reboot, and finally install the latest. Do that even if you already have the latest driver installed.
This is a way to fix, however when I tried I was still having the blue screen of death issue occur and it ended up being the GPU.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is a way to fix, however when I tried I was still having the blue screen of death issue occur and it ended up being the GPU.
A good point. Generally suspect software first, so ensure you have the right software and if it still fails then suspect hardware. [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk