My new beast of a PC

jerpers

Master
Today I received my new PC I had been so excited about. It was a surprise as I was told Monday and it was lucky I was in! An excellent build quality from PCS as expected. However, I upgraded to the 1000w PSU with view to SLI in the future and had a 850w one fitted. Hopefully they will respond to my mail soon to rectify. Also was expecting a reference 980 ti graphics card and had purchased an EVGA water cooling solution for it. I received the Zotac 980 Ti AMP. My fault as I know they do not always sell reference cards and actually a nice surprise to get a boosted card so the AIO unit will be going back.

Everything else looks good, I will post more details when I actually get to set it up properly.

Last edited:

jerpers

Master
Replacement PSU arrived yesterday all fitted and now its all set up like a dream. Here is the set up:

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE R5 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Overclocked CPU
Overclocked Intel® Core™i7-6700k Quad Core (4.00GHz @ upto MAX 4.60GHz)
Motherboard
ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII RANGER: RoG, PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, LG1151
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 DP x2 SLI
1st Hard Disk
2TB WD BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2150MB/R, 1260MB/W)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

I wanted something powerful to game comfortably at 4k yet silent for every day computing. Initially PCS set up the cooler on the top with the modu-vents removed. The stock fans on the corsair cooler were too noisy for my liking. I switched out to corsair SP120 silent edition fans with push pull at the front, removing all of the hard drive bays. It now runs dead silent when not under heavy load. The Zotac Amp 980ti's have a freeze function with the fans not kicking in until needed. The rig is right next to me and I can hear the hum of my buffalo drivestation over the noise of the PC it is brilliant! I loved my fractal design R3 case but this new edition is so much better with easy to remove filters at the front and the bottom one is removable from the front too, no more pulling the PC out to clean it. The modular interior allows for plenty of airflow and cooling despite its compact, sound insulated form. After an hour of heavy gaming CPU temps did not get above 50C and the GPU reached 70C max.

Thanks PCS!

DSC_1264.jpg
DSC_1266.jpg
DSC_1267.jpg
DSC_1269.jpg

thejon

Any ideas why PCS would arrange it as it came, rather than in the quieters setup that you have it in now? :)

jerpers

Master
By removing all the cages, the case has a bit of movement with the sides off. Maybe they are worried about damage in transit. Also it is apparently better cooling with extracting from the top.

badassgamer

By removing all the cages, the case has a bit of movement with the sides off. Maybe they are worried about damage in transit. Also it is apparently better cooling with extracting from the top.

They don't really care. Once they are in the delivery truck it's on the guys that deliver it.

Tysuro

Gold Level Poster
I'm just finishing up saving up for the new PC I plan on ordering but I'm still torn between skylake and x99 & I'm wondering if nvidia and intel are gonna be smart asses and release new stuff in January lol.